🥇 BANNER William III Shilling!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: What's going on guys! Today, Jeff and I decided to head back down to one of my old honey holes that I've been digging at on and off for the last couple of years, the same one that Jeff dug the stellar 1861 Half Dime at a few days ago. As I told him the other day, "there's still more stuff in here to be found" well we found out just how true that was AGAIN today! After a couple hours of digging we wandered into one of the areas that use to be an old colonial homesite on the top of a hill and we began to get the nice iron signals all over. Now up until this time we had only a few bullets between us and we were just leisurely swinging and all of a sudden I got a NICE signal hitting in the 70s and I at once called Jeff over to listen to it with his machine....he came on over and scanned it and agreed it was hittting in the 70s on his too! I sank my shovel in and dug a nice BIG hole and dug down about 5" and then started probing the hole with my Propointer. When it started freaking out, I rubbed the side of the hole with the tip and suddenly a silver milled edge was exposed and both Jeff and I was thinking Reale at that point!!! When I popped it out, it didn't quite look right for a Reale and I was thinking, is that King George?? NOPE, after blowing the loose dirt away I could see William in Latin on the edge and at that point knew almost certainly that it was a William III shilling but STILL couldn't believe it and had to get Jeff to confirm what I was seeing :o :o :o Indeed, thats what it is he said! My nerves were shot at that point as it was in unbelievable good shape! Hands down the BEST milled coin I've ever dug! When we got back to the house, Jeff grabbed his 1697 William coin from earlier this year that we thought was a shilling. Turns out, we measured them and Jeff's is a sixpence (21 mm) and mine was the shilling (25mm). Enjoy the pictures! Josh

Here's a couple in-situ shots after rinsing with water about five minutes after dug

William III Shillinga.jpg

IMG_0129a.jpg

Look at the gilding left on this flat button that was about 20 yards from the coin :o
IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

1695 William III Shilling

MD Pics 1031a.jpg

MD Pics 1030.jpg

Jeff's 1697 sixpence next to my 1695 shilling

IMG_0132b.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1695 William III Shilling

Way to go Josh. I would have had silver fever as well. Awsome find. You guys did well in the video. Nice looking banner. You know there has to be at least one more,., :thumbsup:
Good luck

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Just amazing, Josh & Jeff! Just hope you don't expect every year to be like this one!

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Re: I recognize that mark

Roland58 said:
Incredible detail on that coin!! You have my banner vote!!! WTG! Almost looks like someone intentionally scratched that "X" on his head??

Edit: I just watched the video (very good) and couldn't help but share the happiness and excitement you exhibited. Thanks for posting it, I am really happy for you!! Have you quit shaking yet??
:notworthy:

That's the mark I put on all my valuble coins lately. Just digging so much junk I get careless and then get burned. Nice coin, way to go guys.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Incredible dig! Congrats on your banner find! Once in a lifetime for sure!

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SWEET MOTHER!!!!!!!!! Way to go, Josh! Sorry I'm just seeing this but you wouldn't have needed my vote anyway. Well done, my friend. :icon_thumright:

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Assume you guys are still rolling.

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

HEY MAN , FANTASTIC CONDITION.............LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DROPPED YESTERDAY....CONGATS,PACO

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

wow! thats beautiful! a huge congrats! :thumbsup: well deserved!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the Banner ! :thumbsup: The J Team has been magnificent this year :occasion14: :headbang: d aWg

Dabeel

Dec 21, 2008
Baltimore origin/now Bay Area CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett and White's

Holy Flippin' Flapjacks! I just returned to the forum after a long, long abscence and I kept checking your profile to see if you really are in the U.S(I can't imagine finding something so old and well preserved) I'm going to check your older finds as it sounds like you two have been finding great stuff all year long.

Congratulations to the both of you for finding "sweet honey in the rock"

BANNER.....NO QUESTION!!!!

Thanks,
Doug

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CONGRATS ON THE BANNER !! :hello2:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WOW GUYS I AM IMPRESSED THOSE ARE SOME AMAZING FINDS AGAIN WTG
JAMES :notworthy:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stunning :notworthy:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Josh,
Great coin...congrats. I can't believe the detail on that one.

NJ

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Josh, I'm at a loss as to what to say. First, congrats on your recovery and subsequent banner award of a beautiful historic coin from our country's earliest days. It's a beauty. If Tnet gave an annual award for the "Best Year Diggin'", you and Jeff would win hands down.
I hope you plan to submit this coin to W & E Best Finds of 2010. The deadline is Dec. 1st. WTG and HH my friend, Quindy.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Excellent shilling and very nice button too!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A stunning find in awesome condition!!

Congrats! You are making me miss the age of the east coast. Hope to see you at the spring DIV.
-Evan

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Awesome coin.
Congrats on making banner.
Dman