William J Burns International Detective Agency enamel sign

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
It's kind of a "todays find" because I had forgotten about it until today when I was packing some stuff up getting ready for the move to New Orleans and found it again in a box that I didn't bother to unpack the last time I moved.

I originally found it in a collapsing factory building in the West End area of Atlanta that has since been torn down, it was covered in at least 50 years of wall paint, but cleaned up nicely.

some history on it..... the company was founded in 1909, I believe this sign is from the 20's or 30's

William J. Burns (1860-1932) is known for being the director of the Bureau of Investigation (predecessor to the FBI) from August 22, 1921 to June 14, 1924. He was born in Baltimore, Maryland and was educated in Columbus, Ohio. As a young man, Burns performed well as a Secret Service Agent and parleyed his reputation into the William J. Burns International Detective Agency, now a part of Securitas Security Services USA. A combination of good casework and an instinct for publicity made Burns a national figure. His exploits made national news, the gossip columns of New York newspapers, and the pages of detective magazines, in which he published "true" crime stories based on his exploits.

He was well qualified to direct the Bureau, and was friends with Warren Harding's Attorney General Harry M. Daugherty, Burns was appointed as Director of the Bureau of Investigation on August 22, 1921. Under Burns, the Bureau shrank from its 1920 high of 1,127 personnel to around 600 three years later. He resigned in 1924 at the request of Attorney General Harlan Fiske Stone because of his role in the Teapot Dome Scandal. This scandal involved the secret leasing of naval oil reserve lands to private companies.

Burns retired to Florida and for several years published detective and mystery stories based on his long career. He died in Sarasota, Florida in April 1932.

Attachments

• 100_0887.JPG
    100_0887.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 993
Upvote 0

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hey Ken

Nice sign.

Must have been a big operation to have offices in the major cities.

Thanks for sharing

HH

Sanat

OP
OP
Ken from Atlanta

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
heh, as far as I can tell those "principal cities" were mainly Chicago. I think it was a bit of self glorification on their part to sound bigger and more impressive.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Cool. Thanks for sharing the history along with your find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions