Winter activity????

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
So, what is everyone doing while the snow, ice, and frozen ground are blocking any effort to detect? I have only been able to get out one so far this year to do a bit of snow detecting. The ground a frozen in the top inch or so and the snow was only about 2 inches and fluffy. Made for an exhausting hunt. I'm at $1.65 in clad and 1 wheaty for the year. LOL Other than that, I keep coming to TNet to see what folks in the warmer areas are finding.

berkshiregold

Nov 15, 2008
Berkshire County Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Minelab Equinox 800
I think the ground is a little harder at this end of the state! (Lanesborough) I'm doing my homework in preparation for spring hunting. I just started detecting last year. It's fantastic!!!!! I can't stay away from this site. Lots of information. Congrats on your first finds of the year! Mine probably won't come until April!!! :coffee2:

H

hessian raider

research, research, preservation and more research. I've gone back to some of my earlier finds, i.e.- 18th and 19th century buttons, musket and pistol balls, a minie ball, a couple of buckles, etc.- and tried some of the cleaning methods I've learned here. I've had some mixed results; but i'm still figuring out all the little nuances. I'm also doing research on dating some of my finds; backmarks on buttons and figuring out the calibers of the bullets. I found an odd rimfire cartridge in my town, I learned that it was a .41 Swiss from a 19th century military rifle. Sears&Roebuck sold these rifles out of their catalog for 7 dollars and change -with a free box of 20 bullets- what a bargain! I'm mostly focusing on site research. I would like to find enough leads so I can concentrate strictly on hunting this spring. I've found a few areas in neighboring towns; abandoned roads with multiple sites. I'll do some scouting whenever the snow clears off the ground. I would like to see if I can do some overnight camping trips in those areas to eliminate travel time and get in a good solid day of hunting.

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! My last MD trip was probably mid November. I hit this new spot I found. It was windy as heck, and darn cold! I had on two coats, two hats and gloves just to try to stay warm. Worked my way around the back end of this field.. got a great signal.. and spent a half hour trying to chop the ground. It was frozen SOLID. I found one quarter that day in about an hour before I gave up. Darn near broke my digger!

Since then, I've been working on my coins and coin books.

I filled my:

Lincoln Cents - 41 - 74 - Complete
Lincoln Cents - 75 - Present - Complete
Jefferson Nickels - 64 - 96 - Complete
Still working on Lincolns 1909 - 1940 as well as Jeffersons 1938 - 1963 and Silver Roosies

I also purchased from a friend the following coins. They were a relatives coins who were looking to dump them. To give a fair price, I looked them up in the Redbook for their value and paid what it recommended. I figured I was still getting a deal since a dealer would have a markup price on all these coins... besides.. they are all silver.. can't go wrong with that!

1917 Walking Liberty Half - Good condition
1941 D Walking Liberty Half - Very Fine
1942 Walking Liberty Half - Very Fine
1949 S Franklin Half - Very fine
1952 Franklin Half - Very Fine
1959 Franklin Half - Very Fine
1964 Kennedy Half - AU
1966 Kennedy Half - AU
1967 Kennedy Half - AU
4 - 1969 Kennedy Halves - all AU
3 Silver Roosy's to fill my Roosy book
One no date Standing LIberty quarter - Extremely worn but you can tell what it is.

Can't wait for the ground to thaw.. i'm itchy!

OP
OP
BomberJohn

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
I have SO wanted to get outside and swing the detector, but that just isn't gonna happen any time soon. So I've gone through every coin jar/container/stash in the house (which I didn't realize there was so much cash floating around. Time to hit the Coinstar or Mohegan Sun. Surprisingly, after hours, I found a bunch of wheat pennies(30+), one 1903 IH penny, one 1953 silver dime, three George VI Canadian pennies (1939, 40, & 42), and a ton of foriegn stuff( I travel a bit for work.). Also found a replica Buffalo nickel that is slightly smaller than a dime. I'll post a picture later.

And as always, doing some research for later in the year.

John

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Hi BomberJohn. If the temperature gets up to around 40 degrees (today the high was 16), I might hit a salt water beach now and then. I didn't have any luck at all last year, so I spend some time thinking of some new places and strategies I might use this year. Also, I am going to get into two-box hunting this year. So I have to figure out how to do organized research. So I tinker with how to best research ideas and strategies for the two-box. Also, believe it or not, I try and think of plans to relocate down South. Too cold and snowy and icy here in Massachusetts. I am sure that the New England settlers were masochists. In addition to suffering the harsh NE winters, they also got to get massacred by the indians from time to time. Never a dull moment, huh? :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread