Winter Prospecting Gear

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its cold outside and snow lines the river banks. I just bought a 30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap and some hip waders. I think I'm prepared for some winter prospecting. I'd like to hear what y'all use to get out there and get that gold in the cold. I'm definitely going to use some elbow length rubber gloves when panning too. Does anyone have any cool gear they use to stay comfy while digging in a snow lined stream? :coffee2:

Upvote 0
T

Tuolumne

the zen of gold mining different temperatures extremes... When wet be thoroughly wet, when cold be thoroughly cold, when hot be thoroughly hot...work is done-gold will flow your way

XS Scuba 7mm Mendocino Wetsuit
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xss7jm/xs-scuba-7-mm-mendocino-mens-jumpsuit

Mendocino abalone diving wetsuit with extra padding on the knees. Its flexible in the arms for diving and extra thick for warmth. Hard core knee padding for scrapping along the cold reef or cold creek. Even pool water saps the heat out of your body very fast. Nothings better than California where you can go mushroom hunting, abalone rock picking and gold mining all in same day with the same gear... Those were the days up in Humboldt and Del Norte, Gold Beach......but really depends on how cold the water is in your area.....my claim water is always cold 50's in the summer, and this 500 year drought in the Snowfall Saw mountains of Alta California....I have some hard core diving foot booties that have hiking tred on the bottom that are perfect for cold water and offer protection amongst the loose ground, Kevlar finger tip multi millimeter diving gloves offer warmth and protection while moving rocks with your hands and such in extreme environment....I dont know what I like better, my camo 5 gallon bucket seat or my abalone diving gloves for working around the cold water, lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's cool you can get wet still in the winter. It looks like a comfy suit to get gold in. I'm in Colorado where the daily temp averages around 35-40 F and the water temp is just above freezing as it is snow melt. The banks of the rivers and streams are covered with snow but the cobblestones still beg to be turned over and cleaned. My favorite part about it is that no one else is out and all the spots are mine Muahhahaha! I bet a wet suit would be nice here for certain seasons.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The absolute must in snow/ice cold conditions working around water is a PARTNER. To pick you up if you slip/fall/hypothermia/get your frozen arse to the ER in case of emergency. Working around creeks during warm weather is slippery enough but add ice/snow/slush and bloody dangerous by yourself-John

MIKE MCKEEVER

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WE USE DRY SUITS -
SNIPEING WITH SNORKLE IN TWO PICS AND BREAKING ICE SHELF IN PIC 1 TO GET DREDGE IN THE WATER

CREEK001.jpg MIKEGOLD009.jpg
WINTER001.jpg WINTER007.jpg

OP
OP
P

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The absolute must in snow/ice cold conditions working around water is a PARTNER. To pick you up if you slip/fall/hypothermia/get your frozen arse to the ER in case of emergency. Working around creeks during warm weather is slippery enough but add ice/snow/slush and bloody dangerous by yourself-John

At first I read that PARTNER like it was some cool prospecting gear to get and I was like where can I order one of those! My amazing girlfriend, lover, and partner in crime will be joining me. I took her prospecting in the Fall and she found got about 7 colors on her first fricken pan ever. Yup she's hooked too and probably even more excited than me to use the xtreme hybrid pro hand dredge we just got along with a 30" Sniper BGT. If only I didn't have to work 8 hours a day...

For this winter gear I also got myself a pair of frog toggs hip waders for working near the edge http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-B...2801021&sr=8-3&keywords=frog+toggs+hip+waders

I'm thinking about getting my girl some chest waders so she can go deeper :icon_thumleft:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think about some kind of hot water reserculation system to keep warm in a wet suit . I know they make them just not sure how expensive they are , but if I was going out much in the winter , I would own one . I guess you would see a lot less people out then too .

takinachantz

Feb 2, 2016
Larsen Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Two bounty hunters and a Garrett AT pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Wisconsin and was waiting for spring, :( this is a great idea can't wait to try it thanks :)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweatpants and wool socks inside the waders. Under armor (or similar) with a fleece vest over that and a raincoat or windbreaker top layer...then peel off as needed to avoid sweating too much. Waterproof gloves sold for snow blowing and of course a hat.

I get out year round here in lovely sunny CO. Sunshine and 45 degrees F with still air or a light breeze makes for a very pleasant outing. Enjoy!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well for right now my Winter prospecting gear consists of a lawn chair and a double rum and coke next to the fire while I watch others digging/sucking for gold. and until my knee gets more limber , itll probly stay that way with my good friend Leonard Leeper!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for right now my Winter prospecting gear consists of a lawn chair and a double rum and coke next to the fire while I watch others digging/sucking for gold. and until my knee gets more limber , itll probly stay that way with my good friend Leonard Leeper!

I'm thinking setting next to the wood stove and posting on Tnet is my cold water Gold Getter right now . I like the cold , but just can't think about being in the cold water !BBBBBRRRRRRRRRR I hope to get enough consentrates to get me through next winter .

OP
OP
P

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think some chest waders are next for me

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chest waders , Heck , Iwas thinking submarine .

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
check craigslist too for waders... I got a good pair of neoprene waders for duck hunting.. normally around $100.. $30. there wasn't even a leak in it!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still like the submarine . LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread