Withdrawals

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I'm suffering withdrawls done here, snow lasting longer than 3 days is rare here
so far we've had snow for about 2 weeks

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting too. I just told my wife..Today.... " It looks so nice out there I want to go MDing.."
Her response... " Go ahead and freeze ".. Why can't that be the case when it's warm?
Could it be that nothing gets done by me.....around the house....

Attachments

• Withdrawal guy.gif
    Withdrawal guy.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 190

justdigging50

Sep 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC and Minelab Explorer II
I was out digging in the snow the other day. I had the shakes bad, can't be the cold, can it?. I think it's withdrawls from MDing. I've got it bad.
Hay we get a couple of guys with small portable snow blowers. Hit the woods. Crank'em up, then get out the miner pick ax to dig out our finds out of the frozen ground.
See Cabin Fever and delirium has set in. At least We have some posts to keep us sane.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Y'all go do some research. Break open the maps and start overlaying them, bet some fixed poiints on hotspots of yesteryear can be found, then e-mail them to me. Read some OLD newspapers too.

And this year, I'm expecting some of those long-forgotten places from you guys. Valley of the Twistidd, DP Bob Junction, Kimsdad Corners or maybe even the L4S Plank Road Mill Pond. You do that and MAYBE you can come along to Lowbatts Landing.

snowskate

Dec 18, 2009
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/ Sunray Probe, Ace 250
im having withdrawals and i haven't even had a taste of anything noteworthy yet! i went out a few weeks ago right before the snow hit and broke my second digging tool in the frozen ground. maybe i should get a lesch(sp)? i heard people like to use hunting knives too.. i dunno

my setup right know is pretty ghetto. I have a stainless steal gardening tool from home depot, some ipod headphones connected to a volume control from radio shack connected to a coiled jack converter/cord plugged into the ace 250. im really tempted to just get the etrac(along with some good headphones and tools) but I can't justify it right now. Maybe once I find a few decent coins and find a job (just graduated from college and recently laid off) I will reward myself.

I have been doing some research, and I like to think I am pretty advanced when it comes to that stuff. its amazing what information you can find online. found a property the other day going for a drive.. completely abandoned. the door on the house was wide open, had so much stuff in it, like the people just disappeared one day and just never came back for anything. i trespassed (without my detector) out of curiosity, found some mail and noted the names and address. found 2 of the people that lived there on social networking sites, and sadly the obituary of the owner. very curious to know the story of why the house is like that.. with everything still in it..

went into further research mode and got the tax id from the county plot map website, looked it up on the county parcel site, found the address for the owners paying taxes. google'd that address and found a name. went on switchboard.com and did a people search for the name and got the address/phone number and ages of the owners. also found out from the map that its not just one small lot, the land that abandoned home was on is over 10 acres.. surrounded by new subdivisions with $500,000+ homes.. no wonder they are holding on to the property.. still very mysterious though. very tempted to cold call but I think I will send a letter to the address and if I don't receive a response in a couple weeks I might as well try the call. the spot this home is on is in an area i have been doing extensive research on that dates back to the 1820's and 30's, so would def. love to detect there. if i get permission i will let you guys know, as i think 10 acres would be a little big for one man ;)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Snowskate, that scenario is too good to pass up. I did the same once and got an okay to have at the house, the property and all contents. Unfortunately the opportunity came on the last day of ownership for the party who owned the property but I still managed to retrive a couple van loads of antiques, books, old maps and bottles. The next day the developers owned it and it was no trespassing then. When the demo team came, they crushed and buried volumes of goodies I was unable to recover.

On another occasion a demo team let me hunt a one square block here in town they were tearing down, but yards and remains only after the houses were removed. Still got two nice bottle pits dug there and lots of old coinage in the holes and yards and hole management was not a problem! So it was tear it all up and dig everything for almost two weeks before the construction crews came in. The coolest thing was they did scrapes in the yards where I asked them to and it revealed easily recoverable coins/other goodies that in many cases would have been masked or harder to locate.

Good luck on your pursuit!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. . . it's getting to me too Joe.

For the past week I've been in research mode on-line and at the library and
after researching a few possible sites it's been a real killer not being able
to get out and establish some ground truth.

I'm now wondering who's going to blink first, me or old man winter :icon_pirat:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I just found 4 more place to MD. I'm working on finding the owners this morning

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I used to do my research early on in winter, but it drove me crazy waiting for Spring. Now I just concentrate (try to) on other interests and start my research in late February or March.
I Hate Winter!!!
Mike

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I'm feeling it, too. Not as bad as last year though. This year, I knew what was coming and lined up some other things to do. I just finished a shadowbox of relics from the last two years. I'm working on my scrapbook/photobook of the 2009 season right now among other things. If I get out, that's good. If not, at least I'm not going crazy like in early 2009! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread