Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's up highway 27 from here and probably not more than a couple of hours away

dk1312

Feb 28, 2007
Somerset, KY
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter pioneer EX
Whats up everyone I'm from Somerset and I'm on here to warn you be careful metal detecting in Lake Cumberland because now you can get put in Federal Prison. I have a link that tells more. http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/siteSearch/apstorysection/local_story_033180459.html
My friend and I went detecting one weekend and then the next weekend the newspaper put this article out it made us mad now we dont have anyplace to use our metal detectors.

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
Damn it! I was hoping this wouldn't get out yet, lol.. I'm planning on going down there soon with my detector. Has anyone been down there yet? Are they're really rules against it?!?!

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
The thing is folks... its like a watching a tornado on the horizon... it may head your direction or it may not today. The next time you see it... it may behave exactly the opposite as the first time you encountered one.

Like unpredictable weather conditions, you have to face UNPREDICTABLE park rangers. One sees you detecting below the beach line and says to his or herself, "Aw hell, they aren't hurting anything... let em' have their fun". The next one that comes by has a totally different view of the situation and uses ARPA (Archaeological Resouces Protection Act of 1979, for you newbies) to crucify you... as in "You are under ARREST... I am seizing your metal detector and vehicle pending the outcome of charges which I am bringing against you. How could you be so stupid as to openly break the law right in front of me, boy (gal)?". Rest assured when you hear the words... "YOU ARE UNDER ARREST!"... your life has suddenly become TERRIBLY MUCH MORE COMPLICATED AND STRESSFUL than it was in the few moments before that fateful pronouncement. Plan to spend a BUNCH of your hard-earned shekels defending yourself cause EVEN if you ultimately win your case your losses will still be severe.

As tempting as Lake Cumberland may be to all of us there are plenty more places to swing our detectors where at least we won't have to surrender our finds, our detector, our vehicle and.... our DIGNITY... and possibly our freedom and a lot of what little money we do have... to some south bound end of a north bound horse wearing a uniform as well as some legal "land shark"... read lawyer here.... (NOTE: I am NOT referring to GOOD law enforcement personnel who temper the justice they mete out with MERCY.).

A GOOD treasure hunter weighs the risks against the potential gains and ALWAYS proceeds in a way that PUTS THE ODDS IN HIS/HER FAVOR.

Happy... and SAFE... trails!

DC

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
It would be kinda interesting to get a photo of how low the water is at Mill Springs ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread