Woman drops off $40,000 WWII German rifle to be destroyed in police buy-back scheme

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting piece but the real nugget was in the sidebar. "It is unclear how many original StG 44s are left, although a cache of 5,000 were captured by Syrian rebels in the city of Aleppo in August of this year."

A World War II assault rifle that belonged to an SS officer was handed in to a gun buy-back organised by police in Connecticut.

The rare find, which is worth up to $40,000, would have been sent home by an American soldier who had taken it from a prisoner of war or a German he had killed.
Officer Lewis Crabtree, of the Hartford Police Dept, said: 'The chance to see a piece of history - this - is absolutely unbelievable.'

Read more: Officers stunned when woman drops off $40,000 WWII German rifle to be destroyed in police buy-back program | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Whttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245749/Officers-stunned-woman-drops-40-000-WWII-German-rifle-destroyed-police-buy-program.html

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a big fat DOPE!!!!! I bet anything someone in the department, (probably higher up), is going to "OWN" that rifle!!

Just another gun grab offering to "BUY GUNS" from citizens!!!!

S

stefen

Understand that the police returned the gun to the gal setting it worth around $20 to $25K...

Honesty prevails

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
but here's the rub: by law all "machine guns" had to be declared by 1986 and no new "machine guns" can be introduced for private ownership after '86. If it wasn't previously declared she may run afoul of the ATF and those guys are *******s! They have no mercy and will make no exceptions.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
but here's the rub: by law all "machine guns" had to be declared by 1986 and no new "machine guns" can be introduced for private ownership after '86. If it wasn't previously declared she may run afoul of the ATF and those guys are *******s! They have no mercy and will make no exceptions.
Unless a museum is willing to take possession of it and do the paperwork.... then she can use it as a huge tax write off...

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hadn't thought of that.

VBCurt

Oct 6, 2012
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 and PRO Pointer
This will always be a issue. If it comes down to a draw, well you know who will win.

Last edited:

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate these programs, they just buy them and destroy them. I remember in I believe it was New York they would make artifical reefs out of smashed up guns. Everytime these buy backs happen we lose history. Gun shops shoulds start there own buy back program.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, gun by backs are good. Where else can gun owners get money back from the government by selling to them all the worthless, broken, and non-firing guns that have been sitting in the closet corners for 25 years?

Taking my tongue out of my cheek, have you ever looked at the proud mugs of the officials smiling over the great deed they have done the public, and the table is full of 22's, single shot shotguns, and the occasional pellet pistol? Great job, Now I'm safer, and I still have my 1911, loaded and on the night stand.

Diggz

Feb 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter I-D 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I come here to enjoy my hobby. Would be nice to get away from the gun propaganda (pro AND con) for awhile.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come here to enjoy my hobby. Would be nice to get away from the gun propaganda (pro AND con) for awhile.

I am sorry but if anything on this forum involves guns then this will happen. Try to stay away from them if you don't like them, no one is forcing you to read these.

JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBC (British Broadcasting) is better than US media to report what's happening HERE!

Woman drops off $40,000 WWII German rifle to be destroyed in police buy-back scheme

:censored:Isn't it just 'INSANE' that to get any worthy news you have to get it overseas? Story came from UK...

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is treasure to be found everywhere, but none so valuable as the Right to keep and bear arms. By the way, the Right to protect and defend your person, your family, and your property came from GOD, not the government!

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw this in the news, city was having a gun buy back and the gun dealers were across the street with signs offering a better price, and it was leagle

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe they called it an assault rifle, when there's no such thing ( or so I've read)

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the STG44 is the world's first, and only, purpose-designed assault rifle.

Recently, my GF and I were at a 'buyback' in Pleasantville, NJ. As I was perusing the mostly junk weapons turned in I noticed 3 set aside on a table. They were a Luger, an MP-40 and an STG-44. The State Police Lt. Col told me they were dropped off that morning by a woman. She got paid $650.

Pic:

Attachments

• stg44buyback.JPG
    stg44buyback.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 209

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it said in the article the police allowed her to sell it. It didn't specify to who or how much, so she probably sold it to them for $50 bucks or so in the buy back program.

She deserves to lose it for participating in this stupid program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread