Woman’s car invites confusing compliments

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Woman?s car invites confusing compliments - LarkNews.com - A Good Source for Christian News

Womans-car-invites-confusing-compliments-1.jpg

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — Ever since 81-year-old Mae Hodges bought a used Volvo, “strange-looking people” have been approaching her around town to pay compliments.

“They tell me, ‘Thank you for being a pioneer in our movement,’” Hodges says. “I have no idea what they mean.”

The flow of appreciation began after she started driving the nondescript Volvo wagon, which bears several bumper stickers. One sticker shows a multi-colored flag, another a pink equal sign, both of which Hodges found “very cheery.”

“I left them on the car because the bright colors remind me of my flower garden,” she says. “Bill used to love flowers.”

Hodges now receives a hero’s welcome from complete strangers, but does not know why. One man recently hugged her in the parking lot and said that if a woman her age was willing to stand up for equality then he was going to tell all his colleagues and friends the truth about himself.

“I just wished him well and off he went,” Hodges says, shaking her head.

Many who congratulate her have an “unusual appearance,” she says.

“It’s the oddest thing — I can’t tell if they are men or women,” Hodges says. “Maybe I’m losing my sight. Some look like women with men’s haircuts, and some look like boys trying to be girls.”

Occasionally, a well-wisher asks Hodges to give regards to her partner. Hodges expresses surprise that people would guess that she still plays bridge.

“They’re so sweet about it,” she says. “I tell them I certainly will wish Betty well, and that we’ve been at it for twenty years through ups and downs. The biggest part is staying committed.”

Hodges figures well-wishers are drawn to her choice of a Volvo wagon and think she is promoting a better environment or automobile safety.

“They always thank me for promoting equality,” she says. “Maybe there’s a resurgence of patriotism these days. That’s very encouraging.”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread