Wood and Acrylic Replicas

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Over the summer, I took some wood carvings to market for the first time. I’ve been carving wood for the past ten years making walking sticks and wood spirits. Here’s some of the wood work inspired by the artifact hunting hobby. At the least it gave a visual for how the points and blades were hafted. The knives were inspired by the dovetail type and considered weapons by one market committee. I don’t know how non functioning wood or acrylic blades could be used as weapons.

The highlight was meeting other artifact hunters who would check out my display and share stories of their hunts and local finds. I sure wish I knew how to flint knap. I decided to share this with folks looking for possible winter arts and crafts projects.

Please remove the post if inappropriate since the replicas are not knapped from stone.

Attachments

• Acrylic Dovetail.jpg
    Acrylic Dovetail.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Wood Dovetail.jpg
    Wood Dovetail.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Assortment.jpg
    Assortment.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Walking Stick Top.jpg
    Walking Stick Top.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Walking Stick Shaft.jpg
    Walking Stick Shaft.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Wow those are sweet, I have made some wood ones and scatered them in my rock gardens for the kids to find. I have some lexan laying around so I just carved out this Clovis. I think I'll make a whole set as x-mas ornaments, looks like they're carved out of ice!
Rich are yours hand carved or power tooled? I used a dremmel and they turn out great.

Attachments

• clovis 001.jpg
    clovis 001.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 249

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
How could we color these to give a more natural look?

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 242
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 244

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
I would try to rough them up and then dip them in a dark stain or spray with a rock color paint and wipe it with a brush or rough cloth once it sets up a bit. Never tried it, just a suggestion>--------->

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange, but kinda interesting looking. RichPa, look into flint knapping cause I think you'll be able to master it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread