"Woodmen of the World" Coin Found

Zshadow

May 2, 2011
Tennessee
"Woodmen of the World" Coin Found

Hey guys!

This is my first time posting in the forums here at Treasurenet. I've been doing amateur metal detecting, on and off, here in Tennessee. There is this old house across the road, lots of old trees and fence lines, and here's probably the most interesting thing I've found so far!

It's an old 'Woodmen of the World' coin or token. Feels like it is made of some cheap metal, either nickel or tin. Makes a nice ringing sound when dropped though! Has a picture of a man on the front, looks like "V. K. Fraser"? Maybe "V. A. Fraser"?

On the back is a log being split, with the words "DOM TACET CLAMAT" on the log. Really a neat find, don't think it's very old though. Hope to find some more goodies!

29llnd1.jpg

rwqtmh.jpg

Upvote 0

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Woodmen of the World" Coin Found

Welcome to T-net, good find and good luck in your future hunts!

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

That looks cool. Id'e love to see a clear pic of that if you could.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think it may be W.A. Fraser. He was the Sovereign Commander in Omaha back in the early 1900's. They are a fraternal insurance-benefit society founded by Joseph Cullen Root in Omaha, Nebraska on June 6, 1890, and still in existence today. Their motto, Dum Tacet Clamat, is Latin for, "Though silent, he speaks." Like the so-called pennies of other fraternal orders, these were not intended for use in trade, but simply as pocket pieces. Some bear the phrase Coin Test, referring to the Woodmen's practice of showing them to one another as proof of membership. Here is a link for more info.-

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/fraternalism/woodmen.htm

I found one myself a few years back, though it is much worn and different than yours.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,9441.0.html

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006

What a neat find. There are several Woodmen of the World tombstones in my area. They are in the shape of a tree trunk.

KOOTNEY KID

Sep 19, 2008
BRITISH COLUMBIA
Detector(s) used
Whites/MXT.

Cool piece of history you found there!
Welcome to T-NET............its alot of fun and finds here :coffee2: :thumbsup: :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Zshadow

Zshadow

May 2, 2011
Tennessee

diggummup said:
I think it may be W.A. Fraser. He was the Sovereign Commander in Omaha back in the early 1900's. They are a fraternal insurance-benefit society founded by Joseph Cullen Root in Omaha, Nebraska on June 6, 1890, and still in existence today. Their motto, Dum Tacet Clamat, is Latin for, "Though silent, he speaks." Like the so-called pennies of other fraternal orders, these were not intended for use in trade, but simply as pocket pieces. Some bear the phrase Coin Test, referring to the Woodmen's practice of showing them to one another as proof of membership. Here is a link for more info.-

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/fraternalism/woodmen.htm

I found one myself a few years back, though it is much worn and different than yours.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,9441.0.html

Thanks for the information! And thanks for the warm welcome everyone. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions