WooHoo!! Pocket spill means my very first silver!!

dtwilson3

Jul 11, 2008
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher 1212, Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Last week I was at church camp. I took my metal detector along to get in some hunting between activities. Most of the week I just found bullets, clad, and junk. Up until Wednesday night my best find was a 1945 Wheat penny.
Penny 1945 Obverse resized.jpg
That all changed Thursday morning, though. Right after breakfast I hit an area near where a few days earlier I had found a clad quarter. Almost immediately I got a penny signal and dug it up without much thought. Much to my surprise it was a 1916 Wheat penny (my oldest coin to date)!
Penny 1916 Obverse resized.jpg
As I continued along, a thought I have heard many times on Tnet stuck with me. Where there are Wheats, there is silver. That thought ran through my head several times as I continued on the next few steps. All of a sudden I got a dime signal. Somehow I knew that this would not be a clad coin. Sure enough, when it came out of the ground, the date read "1961". Even though I had had a feeling about it, I still could not believe my eyes. My first silver! I almost did the happy dance right there. However, I am a pretty laid back person and was able to keep myself calm.
Dime 1961 Obverse resized.jpg
As I began swinging the detector again, pretty much in a state of shock, I got another dime signal just a little further along. This time it took a little while to find it, but finally there it was. This time I could not help but do a little condensed happy dance. It was a 1944 Mercury dime!
Dime 1944 Obverse resized.jpg
After that it was time for the morning church service and lunch, but as soon as that was over I went right back to that spot. It just got better and better. Within a 20 foot circle, I found a total of 10 Mercury and 8 Roosevelt dimes ranging in years from 1941 to 1961. A little beyond the circle I found 1 more Roosevelt dime for a grand total for the week of 19 silver dimes and 2 wheat pennies. For the rest of the week my face looked like this.
Silver Smile resized.jpg

Upvote 0

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truelly great coins,wtg!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
can't beat a big smiley face made of silver!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D congratulations!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds ,way to go :icon_thumleft:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Congrats. That's a lot of silver. Go back and there will be more. :thumbsup:

Randy

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go DT!! That's more silver than most of us will find in a year. Thanks for posting.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that what you found is a pocket spill, it sounds more like they had some sort of concession stand set up. Maybe a lemonade stand, who knows? But I bet you a shiny Merc that if you go back, and really take your time, you're gonna find more. When you hit it several more times, try all metal, and dig everything. Keep us posted.

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Another possibility is the sawdust pile, a large pile of sawdust is placed on the ground and numerous rolls of coins are scattered in the sawdust, then the kids have a hayday trying to find them. Was common in the 50's & 60's.

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great Day! Holly Cow! Incredible job!

Congrats! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
That's awesome! Almost makes me want to go to church camp, well... no, not really. ::)
Well done! :hello2:

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Keep widening the search area...there's more there...I just know it!
Congrats!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice silver haul ;D thats a lot in 1 day!!!!!

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
OMG......great finds. Did you find them with the 250? I have one and I haven't found any silver yet. How deep was the silver? Excellent finds. :icon_thumleft:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O!K! for the "condensed happy dance." (I really would like to see that. :laughing9: :tongue3:)
GET WITH IT!!!! Wherever you are, right now, get up and do a NONCONDENSED HAPPY DANCE......not officially one of us
THing nuts, until you do...... ::)( I don't want to tell you what I looked like when I found the 70 coin cache......and I am glad
that there were no people with cameras around. I am sure someone.....maybe my wifey......that would have me committed.)
Great bunch of finds......love that silver coming out of the ground.....was your pocket heavy going to the next church service? :thumbsup:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds, did you donate 10% in the offering plate =)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread