WooHoo!! Pocket spill means my very first silver!!

dtwilson3

Jul 11, 2008
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher 1212, Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Last week I was at church camp. I took my metal detector along to get in some hunting between activities. Most of the week I just found bullets, clad, and junk. Up until Wednesday night my best find was a 1945 Wheat penny.
Penny 1945 Obverse resized.jpg
That all changed Thursday morning, though. Right after breakfast I hit an area near where a few days earlier I had found a clad quarter. Almost immediately I got a penny signal and dug it up without much thought. Much to my surprise it was a 1916 Wheat penny (my oldest coin to date)!
Penny 1916 Obverse resized.jpg
As I continued along, a thought I have heard many times on Tnet stuck with me. Where there are Wheats, there is silver. That thought ran through my head several times as I continued on the next few steps. All of a sudden I got a dime signal. Somehow I knew that this would not be a clad coin. Sure enough, when it came out of the ground, the date read "1961". Even though I had had a feeling about it, I still could not believe my eyes. My first silver! I almost did the happy dance right there. However, I am a pretty laid back person and was able to keep myself calm.
Dime 1961 Obverse resized.jpg
As I began swinging the detector again, pretty much in a state of shock, I got another dime signal just a little further along. This time it took a little while to find it, but finally there it was. This time I could not help but do a little condensed happy dance. It was a 1944 Mercury dime!
Dime 1944 Obverse resized.jpg
After that it was time for the morning church service and lunch, but as soon as that was over I went right back to that spot. It just got better and better. Within a 20 foot circle, I found a total of 10 Mercury and 8 Roosevelt dimes ranging in years from 1941 to 1961. A little beyond the circle I found 1 more Roosevelt dime for a grand total for the week of 19 silver dimes and 2 wheat pennies. For the rest of the week my face looked like this.
Silver Smile resized.jpg

Upvote 0

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Ahh, if you won't do a full happy dance and look like Snoopy for that much silver, what exactly would it take?

Congrats! Great Digs!

I have to agree with Carl, pound the site slow and low in all metal, and dig it all!

Best of Luck!
Mark

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
I don't think that what you found is a pocket spill, it sounds more like they had some sort of concession stand set up. Maybe a lemonade stand, who knows? But I bet you a shiny Merc that if you go back, and really take your time, you're gonna find more. When you hit it several more times, try all metal, and dig everything. Keep us posted.
You got it, Carl. Spread out, probably a soda pop and candy bar snack shack. And slowing it down, and digging everything.....could be some mighty good surprises for this new hunter.......but, he's hooked anyway, even if he doesn't find
anything else at this site. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread