WOOLEY MAMMOTH TOOTH

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I finally found the picture of the mammoth tooth I found with my daughter last fall. It was just sitting on the sandbar at the river after the flood waters receeded. I had no idea at the time what it was but it was so unusual looking that we brought it home and did a little internet research and found out what it was. I later had it confirmed by the anthropology professor at the college here who bought it from us and is going to include pictures of it in his book about extinct animals of missouri...not sure what the exact title of the book is yet. My daughter and I were very excited to learn that he is giving us credit in his book for finding it. Thanks for looking, Charlie

Attachments

• Tooth.jpg
    Tooth.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 599
  • Paige1.jpg
    Paige1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 616
  • Tooth.jpg
    Tooth.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 603

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That is totally awesome!!!!! ;D :o WTG on that find! Never realized how big those teeth were. I know how big Mammoths were to be...but you just don't think of the teeth!! LOL

And Congrats on being given credit for it!!! Esp for your daughter!

I say that as my dau was 10 when she found a piece of Ming China at Jamestown, confirmed by Dr. Kelso and they never gave her credit for it. I don't care if you don't want to give me credit...but to a child .... well, sometimes that can be hurtful...but we have pics and videos of that find....with Dr. Kelso in the photos and video with my dau and the piece of Ming China...so we know the truth! Dr. Kelso (APVA) was trying to find a connection to Jamestown and the Orient...and my dau found that connection!!! He was so excited! And when my dau approached me with this piece, I told her she had to turn it in, cause it was the right thing to do....my dau is 22 now...:)...now she scuba dives and snorkels on the island of Guam and hopefully she'll find her own little treasures!

So, I'm glad both you and your dau will be recognized for the find!

Along the James River here in Virginia, you can find all kinds of fossils, but I don't know off hand if anyone has ever found a mammoth tooth...I'll have to research to find out!!

Thanks for sharing with us!!
Annmarie

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks Annmarie, I really didn't want to sell it but I didn't know anythng about preserving it either. This way it will be enjoyed by people for years to come. It is currently in the university museum and gets to be seen by students and visitors alike. Thats really sad that you didn't get a litte recognition for you and your daughter.Some people can be so petty.

Charlie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread