Wooly bears

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This time of year you usually see tons of wooly bear caterpillers crossing the roads. Not as many as used to be, but the few I have seen are all black. O.K., what is that supposed to mean for the weather this year? I sure am old enough to know, but forget what it means if the brown band is short or long?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old standard was the more brown/orange the milder the winter. The more black the more severe. And based on the head (early winter) vs tail (late winter) how the season might go.

But woolly bears have pretty small brains and hardly any technology.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Monsanto is probably killing the wooly bears just like they are getting the bees. Then you will never know what winter will be like, although I usually expect rain and cold.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old standard was the more brown/orange the milder the winter. The more black the more severe.

I saw one the other day that was all black! Guess we're going to be in for a rough winter here in New England!

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all know it is just folklore. But, it is a shame that the bees, Monarch butterflies , wooly bears, and others I am sure, will be gone forever. In the case of the bees, we will be in big trouble.

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't fret, I'll bet anything Monsanto is developing a GMO bee that is resistant to all their toxins. They will patent it of course, just a part of their "long range plan".

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
The old standard was the more brown/orange the milder the winter. The more black the more severe. And based on the head (early winter) vs tail (late winter) how the season might go.

But woolly bears have pretty small brains and hardly any technology.

Charlie, can't be any worse than the folks at the TV Weather Center. Big brains, and world's most powerful radar, and at least here, wrong over 50% of the time. Today was supposed to be partly sunny, up to 15 mph winds, and just the barest chance of rain. Haven't gotten to the partly sunny yet, it's been heavy overcast clouds, barely a whisper of wind. Oh and my newspaper was soaked from the rain today.

My Gramps could walk outside and tell you what was going to happen weather wise better then these "edjumicated" weather folks. I swear they are in a windowless building when they post the weather report.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I have the weather rock in my side yard. I'm sure you've heard about it. When the rock is wet, it's raining, white, it's snowing, ect. It's never wrong. I think our weather forecasters should add one to their arsenal.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Gramps could walk outside and tell you what was going to happen weather wise better then these "edjumicated" weather folks. I swear they are in a windowless building when they post the weather report.

I am beginning to have an internal meteorological forecast. Knees, hips, neck, finger joints, sinuses. I can tell before I get out of bed in the morning what the weather will be that day. I can tell you degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis take some of the fun out of digging pull-tabs.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Charlie, I got those too. Mornings at our house I do a great Frankenstein imitation till the ankles and knees start to loosen up.
I do an encore performance at night after getting home from work. 10 hours on concrete floors is a pain.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was forecast to start raining around noon today with Temps around 70 degrees. It never rained but it did hit 70 degrees. It is November, ,, right??

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread