WOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO! GOT PERMISSION TO HUNT ON OLLLLLLLLD LAND!!

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
IM SHOUTING IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS!!!! I GO PERMISSION TO HUNT ON AN OLD FARM IN THE MIDDLE OF A DEVELOPMENT AND THE HOUSE DATES AT LEAST 1845!

I asked the old couple who I have known for years through work but never thought about asking to detect it since Im a newbie. I was told when Colonel Rosser came through Westminster Maryland, some of the troops made camp on the property. The woman who owns the property is going to show me where they supposedly camped and all she asked is that I show her what I found, but I could keep it! Of course I intend to document and log all finds for future reference.

This is going to be so cool if I find ANYTHING civil war related! Im not getting my hopes up, but the house has so much history and had so many people through it someone HAD to lost something within the past 150 years. I know what Im doing this Saturday if the weather holds up. ;D ;D

If the people in the development only knew how close they were to finding some history in their own backyards. Somewhere there is a gold piece with my name on it. Or silver. Or copper. Or nickel. Or lead. Or......well you get the idea.

I also know of a street named Tailings drive. If memory serves me right, tailings are where they dump the refuse from mining or quarrying operations. I may have to check that out after I hit the farm!

I AM SO STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Sounds promising; I look forward to an enthusiastic retelling of the many finds you make.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is sooo coool. I would be so happy if I got permission too. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
Maryland Searcher

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
Trust me. If I find ANYTHING at all I will post pics, movies and anything else I can do!

You can only imagine if I am so pumped about getting permission, how excited Ill be if I find something there!

Stories will abound to accompany the pics of course but I had to let someone know there are still people out there that are willing to work with us and trust us with their land. Of course it is up to us to see that it is undisturbed as possible and maybe even a little better than before we got there by cleaning up the trash and refuse.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Do me a personal favor, dig a bunch of large cents, and then post good clear pics, so I have something to hold at night while I cry myself to sleep.

Seriously, very cool. I got permission to hunt the area of an 1800's ghosttown out in the woods, I know how good that feels !!!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! Sounds like a dream site!!! Do make sure and post those pictures! Good luck!!!!

Find somethin good!

;)

Love your excitement!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sounds promising. How much land is there to search? If it's more than half an acre you will need to put in well over 20 hours. Take your time, bring the folks some bakery when you go. You want to make them feel good about you going there since you are going to be spending so much time on there property. ;D

OP
OP
Maryland Searcher

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
Absolutely on the bakery items! There is probably about 2, 2 1/2 acres. to search. If nothing else, I can poke around in the barns for caches. Ive got a good feeling about this place because no one has EVER searched it including the previous family members.

My imagination reels at the thought of anything from modern clad to civil war items, bottles, toys, caches, guns, silver and gold coins/jewelry etc... So long of a time not to have lost or stashed something, and all mine for the taking.....

Minus the bakery items and coffee!!!!!

Documentation on Corbitts charge is going to help in the future with I.D. of artifacts. Will be very interesting.

N

nightshift

NICE ONE.....finding land to detect on here in the uk is becoming near impossible, infact its getting so bad that a lot of people who wouldnt of dreamed of it before are now out nighthawking....really hope you do well

OP
OP
Maryland Searcher

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
This keeps getting better and better. I pulled the plat for the land and the current plat says there is over EIGHT ACRES!!!!! NOT two as I had thought earlier. They have a field on the other side of the fence at the rear of the property which I thought was part of common ground for the development but its not.

I can see I will be putting alot of hours in on this site. Best of all the weather is getting warm and if it gets too hot, Ill concentrate on the yard which is nothing but mature trees. You cant get much better than climate controlled MDing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread