✅ SOLVED World War II / Korean War Era Relics

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is some stuff from an old Army/Airforce firing range from the 1940s and 1950s. Does anyone recognize what any of this stuff is? I found all of this stuff in an area where the Army was training men to use the 20 mm anti-aircraft gun (cannon), as Ive found a fired 20 mm shell and several crushed ammo boxes that say they 20 mm on them. Could these have been the pins for securing a barrel cap or something? The little round metal thing says "Cannon" and has some numbers on it. And the little glass thing looks like an electrical insulator to me. Maybe from a radio or something. Ive found two of them. The one in the photo has a small "12" on the top and the other says "42" or "43" or something. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
DSC02392.jpg DSC02394.jpg DSC02396.jpg DSC02397.jpg

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have this thing, which says "Chute Magnet Access". Any ideas?
DSC02399.jpg

Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In first photo, that is a linch pin with a couple of lengths of chain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has any farming or feeding operations used these areas also? the reason I ask, is the linchpin is common to tractors and the chute magnet could be from a feeding trailer to keep wire and other bits of metal from reaching the cows or other animals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old corral next to the place that was built after the military abandoned the place. There did appear to be some more modern stuff mixed in with the old military stuff (Tons of bullet casings from the 1940s and 50s, machine gun belt links and 20 mm cannon links, and all sorts of mechanical stuff, several of which say "cannon" on them. By modern stuff I mean things that are clearly post WW2, but this place was used by the military into the late 1950s/early 1960s. Before WW2 is was just open desert, although there are old cotton fields (now pecan groves) nearby.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Back-of-the-boat. Chute magnets are used in various hoppers (feed, grain, etc.) and bailers to remove metal objects.

The clevis pin, retaining ring and chain - I still have similar on my Ford tractor.

The little glass cup looks like it would attach to the end of a rubber tube. Colostrum tube?

Upvote 0

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item with Cannon on it might be a part pf a broken military electrical connector. Most military connectors were of the Cannon design. They had multiple pins and had an outside ring that turned 90 degrees or so to lock the connector from being vibrated loose.

May be also a 3AG type fuse holder end cap used to hold small fuses.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pictures of the "Cannon" relics. The one on the right is the same as in the photo above. Like I mentioned before, Ive found several of these little mechanical things that say "Cannon" on them. All of them are like the thing on the right. The box thing on the left is the only other thing. Its also painted olive drab.

DSC02404.jpg DSC02407.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1458437 View attachment 1458439

Here are all of the "Cannon" things Ive found, along with some other electrical stuff I was always hoping to learn more about. I was wondering if any of these buckles came off of equipment used by the soldiers, like rifle strap buckles or something. The rusty thing on top is a 20 mm cannon link.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you post a good close up photo of the marking on the bottle we can ID the glass manufacturer, a dateline and from there may be able to ID its contents.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here are some pictures of the "Cannon" relics. The one on the right is the same as in the photo above. Like I mentioned before, Ive found several of these little mechanical things that say "Cannon" on them. All of them are like the thing on the right. The box thing on the left is the only other thing. Its also painted olive drab.
What exactly are the numbers under CANNON

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the green box thing, underneath "CANNON" it says "AN3056-4".

On the other connector thing (The one in the photo with the long black wires coming out), says BENDIX and the following: "AN106A-12S-3p" around the side. And at the top, where the wire comes out "Cannon" followed by "AN 3054-4".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im assuming this is for someone else, or do you mean the little insulator thing?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im assuming this is for someone else, or do you mean the little insulator thing?

yea the glass thing. I thought it was a bottle. Most glass items are marked with factory identification numbers, symbols and/or diagrams and they can be helpful. But a photo is needed to identify the manufacturer markings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it has is the number "12", which I'm sure is a mold number. The other one says "43", but thats it.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
View attachment 1458437 View attachment 1458439

Here are all of the "Cannon" things Ive found, along with some other electrical stuff I was always hoping to learn more about. I was wondering if any of these buckles came off of equipment used by the soldiers, like rifle strap buckles or something. The rusty thing on top is a 20 mm cannon link.
I can see everything else but these 2 attachments didnt post

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
On the green box thing, underneath "CANNON" it says "AN3056-4".

On the other connector thing (The one in the photo with the long black wires coming out), says BENDIX and the following: "AN106A-12S-3p" around the side. And at the top, where the wire comes out "Cannon" followed by "AN 3054-4".

If I google "CANNON" "AN 3054", I get a few military hits related to 1947 aviation. google.jpg

That part number is in here somewhere http://www.bombfuzecollectorsnet.co...998 Aircraft Pyrotechnics and Accessories.pdf
aircraft 1947.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread