World War Service, medal...State of Oregon

Bedrock Bryan

Mar 14, 2015
Oregon and Central to Northern CA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab X-Terra 70, Minelab GP3500, Goldbug 2, Deus...high frequency and stock coils, Equinox 800, and Minelab Gold Monster 1000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in the lawn of an old church I had permission to hunt on with my new CTX 3030, with 11" coil. Also found my first silver Quarter 1936 no mint mark.
On front it says "World War Service".
On bottom front "State of Oregon"
On the back "State of Oregon" In respectful recognition of faithful service remembered during the 1917 World1918
War
Also has some other faded words. I know what it is but some elaboration from some of the experts on here would be appreciated. Thanks.... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486009056.456806.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486009074.276618.jpg

Upvote 17

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched Google and found...

The Oregon Legislature appointed a committee to decide on the design of a medal to award to Oregon veterans "to express the state's appreciation and gratitude for sacrifices made by her participants in the world war." The committee consisted of the governor, secretary of state, state treasurer, state librarian, and adjutant general.

The committee talked to artists both in Oregon and nationally about the design of the bronze medal. And, its secretary, the hard working Cornelia Marvin, collected literature and sample medals from several manufacturing companies. Recognizing the aesthetic limitations of a committee comprised mostly of politicians, they resolved to create an advisory art committee to help with the selection. The advisory committee was instructed to "select as beautiful and as artistic a design as it is possible to secure, and that the medal should be large enough to be distinct and plain at a distance."

The advisory committee soon balked at the amount of money appropriated for the medals, claiming that, at less than 23 cents per medal, the amount "would only permit the purchased of a commercial design that is in no way expressive of the feelings of the people of this state and would make no appeal to the men as a thing to be preserved and cherished." The committee recommended going to the next legislature for more money. Marvin also lobbied the governor to press for more money: "I was told the other day that the American Legion has paid 20c [cents] each for its buttons. The state ought to give something better than this little American Legion button." But the governor wanted to attempt to stay on schedule for presenting the medals in county ceremonies on Nov. 11, 1919.

Another aspect of the process, however, made this impossible. Cornelia Marvin's work as state historian collecting military service histories was far from complete and it was needed to determine the recipients of the medals. Still, after receiving bids from several Oregon and national companies, the state pressed ahead, awarding the contract to the Whitehead and Hoag Company of New Jersey. They were to produce 32,000 medals, 800 of which were to have gold stars to honor those who died. Although many more Oregon men and women served during the war, the committee believed only 32,000 would claim medals. The final design of the medal read "World War Service" and included an eagle and the state seal. The back of the medal read "Presented by the State of Oregon in grateful recognition of faithful service during the World War 1917-1918."

Instead of the earlier planned county run ceremonies for distributing the medals, the adjutant general decided to give the duty to the local American Legion posts. While this ruffled some feathers of non-members and other organizations, most of the medals were distributed in this manner.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Bedrock Bryan

Bedrock Bryan

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab X-Terra 70, Minelab GP3500, Goldbug 2, Deus...high frequency and stock coils, Equinox 800, and Minelab Gold Monster 1000.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone especially "sprailroad" for info on the war service medal. I love this hobby and appreciate the medal detecting community. My new CTX is a dream come true, took a while to get over the cost, don't regret buying it...!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome medal find Bedrock Bryan and impressive ID vpnavy. That's the 2nd new thing I learned on TNet today! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bedrock Bryan

Bedrock Bryan

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears "vpnavy" did my homework for me thank you, I've been very busy. Thanks

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent medal find, and congrats on your first silver quarter.

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice way to break in the CTX! That medal is cool!

strick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread