Worste day.. Read me

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today I went out to my regular prospecting spot and spent the whole day at the creek early morning until about 5 pm or so. Moved a whole lot of rock and overburden and came up with a couple pickers and some small stuff.. On my way out I noticed some fresh tracks where somebody stepped on a pile of dirt that a mole had pushed up in several areas that I remembered avoiding on the way in. (Not a regular hiking area for anyone but me usually) after examining the prints and making sure the tread was different from mine I continued to hike out towards where I had parked along the road. I arrived where my car was parked to find that it was missing.. I thought back to earlier in the day when I thought I had heard voices and saw things passing through the woods. If you've been out alone at a creek or river you know how you think you hear things when you really don't? The creek sometimes makes some weird sounds that can sounds like people talking especially if it's flowing good. I thought i was just hearing things so didn't think anything of it. Called in to make sure that my car wasn't towed for any reason and nope it was stolen. These guys have been watching me for a while I'm sure. I got some info from somebody whom was driving by during the day and saw 2 people with a blue truck parked right up to the front of my car like they staged a breakdown so people who were passing by wouldn't think they were breaking in. I'm guessing there was 3 of them 2 working on the break in and one keeping an eye on me to make sure I was staying down at the creek. Never expected something like that to happen to me.. Next time I'll be better prepared. Posting this as a warning to all who go out for an extended period of time regularly at the same area. Don't leave anything of value in your cars! I didn't really have anything in there but did forget my wallet in there. It only had my drivers license in it but I know that's still not good. Stay safe...

-N8

Upvote 0

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With the growing drug problem here in the north east there have been alot more robberies,theft. We make maple syrup which involves having expensive equipment next to the town roads at our maple orchards. I have had equipment stolen. Now i make a sine that says "smile, your on an inferred candid camera and there are 5000 pics on the memory card" i include my cell phone number on the sine. It has amazed me how many people have called me since that sine went up saying the were just looking..sorry for your loss

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nate, sorry to hear about the troubles...can't imagine
someone swiping my truck while I'm down on the creek...
bur2.gif~original

Have to admit, when I'm away from my truck I'm constantly
checking on it, as even up here in the woods there's meth
maggots that'll swipe anything they can see. Used to be a
problem with them breaking into trucks at the boat ramps,
but last I heard 2 guys were...ahh..apprehended. LEO was
not informed as the situation was handled the old fashioned
way. smiley-fighting0075.gif

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I feel for you, so much so.. I truely do wish you the best; the wake in the lake will settle out on a positive note

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would make me mad enough to spell "worst" wrong as well :)
Had to.
Sorry about that and hope it turns out well.
What you need is a big stupid ugly mean farm dog to sit in your car or next to it all day and see how serious the thieves really are.
I am a huge fan of dogs both as pets, friends and protectors. They have been with man for thousands of years and are quite willing to lay their life on the line for you or your property. They can hear things and smell things you can't and have a unique ability to steady your nerves when alone in back country.
Hope it all turns out well but my advise is get a 4 legged friend.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post area as they work certain spots repeatedly and just might help save someone else from your fate. I have a ungodly loud alarm now since I came back to camp ,like you, around 5pm and found my WHOLE camp gone,even a full toilet for gods sake. Ifn' ya gonna get your panties upn' a wad over a lousy mispelled word ya better seek elswere as picky snitchy in the face of important information disemination is MUCH more important-John

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a dog, we always have one with us, not only first line of defense on trail from critters, they are also a much better judge of character if my dog is barking at you and he wont stop most likely you giving off bad vibes, this I take as advice from my dog, this guy means you harm I go the other way. Best damn alarm you can get!!!!!
GT....

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please post area as they work certain spots repeatedly and just might help save someone else from your fate. I have a ungodly loud alarm now since I came back to camp ,like you, around 5pm and found my WHOLE camp gone,even a full toilet for gods sake. Ifn' ya gonna get your panties upn' a wad over a lousy mispelled word ya better seek elswere as picky snitchy in the face of important information disemination is MUCH more important-John
Foresthill area.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like a PO'd Queensland Heeler that takes his job seriously. I'm not sure, but I think it is illegal in Kal to leave a dog unattended in a vehicle.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nate, sorry to hear about the troubles...can't imagine
someone swiping my truck while I'm down on the creek...
bur2.gif~original

Have to admit, when I'm away from my truck I'm constantly
checking on it, as even up here in the woods there's meth
maggots that'll swipe anything they can see. Used to be a
problem with them breaking into trucks at the boat ramps,
but last I heard 2 guys were...ahh..apprehended. LEO was
not informed as the situation was handled the old fashioned
way. View attachment 985222

While I am all for a good beatdown, you should have held them for the cops. That way, they would have a record that would follow them wherever they went. I honestly think the cops should be able to beat people on the spot. Here is an example, watching Wildest Police Chases. Guy runs from the cops, rolls his Expedition, when the cops get to the truck, they find three children in the vehicle. One is still in an infant car seat. That guy should have had at the very least, an arm, leg, and nose broken right there on the spot. Then, they should have dropped him twenty miles out to sea with a styrofoam cooler as a floatation device to make his way back with.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I second the dog suggestion. Here in AZ, we can carry pistols no questions asked. I also keep my vehicle in sight whenever possible, check on it often when I can't. I practice the saying that chance favors the prepared. Like my dad always said, a lock only keeps an honest man honest. A thief will get in every time.

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pain in the ass thieves, guns , dogs whatever works or remove something from the engine so she wont start or move without it, push comes to shove.

johnnysau

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW THATS PRETTY MESSED UP N8! Hope the dirtbags get apprehended!

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear about that nate; makes me scared to leave my vehicle anywhere up there during the day now. I have seen a lot of shady characters in areas I park my car before but have been fortunate thus far nothing has happened. Keep us updated - hope this resolves and those dirt bags get a taste of justice.

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dirtbags suck.

I like the idea of electrifying door handles. Not sure how to do it but dang, it'll get the message out. Shock therapy!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kaz, that's what I would have done, but unfortunately
I wasn't invited to the event. We had arrived at the
take-out (ramp) about 10 min. after the thieves left.

Up here there's only a couple of Sheriff deputies to cover
the entire east end of the county, and since these guys
were heading out to go steelhead fishing I doubt they wanted
to wait around for a deputy to come by, so they just took
care of business on their own.

If it was the cops that busted them, that's one thing, but when
word got around amongst the thieving community that if they
got caught by the fishermen they would get the sheite beat out
of them, the truck break-ins at the ramps stopped for about a year.

Deputy once told me: "A little vigilante justice can go a long ways"...8-)

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pain in the ass thieves, guns , dogs whatever works or remove something from the engine so she wont start or move without it, push comes to shove.

johnnysau

I have a really nice hotrod, and if I take it out of town, that is what I do. Remove the fuel pump relay fuse. I don't think a thief is going to spend the time to figure out and replace it. A broken window and steering column is pretty cheap and easy, considering.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kaz, that's what I would have done, but unfortunately
I wasn't invited to the event. We had arrived at the
take-out (ramp) about 10 min. after the thieves left.

Up here there's only a couple of Sheriff deputies to cover
the entire east end of the county, and since these guys
were heading out to go steelhead fishing I doubt they wanted
to wait around for a deputy to come by, so they just took
care of business on their own.

If it was the cops that busted them, that's one thing, but when
word got around amongst the thieving community that if they
got caught by the fishermen they would get the sheite beat out
of them, the truck break-ins at the ramps stopped for about a year.

Deputy once told me: "A little vigilante justice can go a long ways"...8-)
My old boss told me something that keeps my hopes up. He said that one time, you will catch someone breaking into your sh$% and take out all of your past aggressions on him. I like that. I saw one of the guys on here, think it is Tr hunter?? has in his sig that someone asked him why he has a pistol on his side in public. His response is Which of your rights did you leave at home? The ability to defend yourself is not for everyone, but the choice should be clear when your family is involved. I apologize to NuggetN8 for taking this off track, but I feel strongly about this topic, and hope that others feel the same way.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions