Worste day.. Read me

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today I went out to my regular prospecting spot and spent the whole day at the creek early morning until about 5 pm or so. Moved a whole lot of rock and overburden and came up with a couple pickers and some small stuff.. On my way out I noticed some fresh tracks where somebody stepped on a pile of dirt that a mole had pushed up in several areas that I remembered avoiding on the way in. (Not a regular hiking area for anyone but me usually) after examining the prints and making sure the tread was different from mine I continued to hike out towards where I had parked along the road. I arrived where my car was parked to find that it was missing.. I thought back to earlier in the day when I thought I had heard voices and saw things passing through the woods. If you've been out alone at a creek or river you know how you think you hear things when you really don't? The creek sometimes makes some weird sounds that can sounds like people talking especially if it's flowing good. I thought i was just hearing things so didn't think anything of it. Called in to make sure that my car wasn't towed for any reason and nope it was stolen. These guys have been watching me for a while I'm sure. I got some info from somebody whom was driving by during the day and saw 2 people with a blue truck parked right up to the front of my car like they staged a breakdown so people who were passing by wouldn't think they were breaking in. I'm guessing there was 3 of them 2 working on the break in and one keeping an eye on me to make sure I was staying down at the creek. Never expected something like that to happen to me.. Next time I'll be better prepared. Posting this as a warning to all who go out for an extended period of time regularly at the same area. Don't leave anything of value in your cars! I didn't really have anything in there but did forget my wallet in there. It only had my drivers license in it but I know that's still not good. Stay safe...

-N8

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss.
American Pit bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, Or a mix. Adopt one from a humane society kennel. Sweet dogs, their reputation scares people from ownership. Not people who know! Also people see one, they kinda back up!
Mine sleeps on the bed with the cat, and my kid..sweet, unless provoked, then relentless!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn right on that one. Here in GA we just disconnect one of the battery cables and remove the starter relay in my CRV.
Pain in the ass thieves, guns , dogs whatever works or remove something from the engine so she wont start or move without it, push comes to shove.

johnnysau

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newer vehicles are fuel injected and will not run without being pressurized

Many cars and trucks have a fuel inertia switch/Fuel Cut Off safety Switch
After a collision these are designed to stop the fuel pump from working.

Pulling one of the wires disables the car or truck.

You also can wire in a manual switch to stop thieves from stealing the car or truck.

I have the hidden switch and i ALWAYS hide a game camera so that it covers my truck and the area they would likely pull into.

So far i have only caught a BLM law enforcement ranger and he was a friend.
I did have fun sending him the game camera photos.

I live in calif and i carry a gun when i park in remote areas and go hiking.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn right on that one. Here in GA we just disconnect one of the battery cables and remove the starter relay in my CRV.

Yes. I mean, who is going to carry around a relay to steal cars with? Maybe I should invest in sticker to hang inside the window. Basically says, I can hear my alarm go off, and I am armed, so beware.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bad/good news! My car was found last night. 2 people were arrested for stealing it and they had a lot of drugs in the car too. The cops and drug dogs did a number on the inside of the car searching for drugs. They said they think there's another ounce of meth in the car somewhere but they can't find it. The people who stole it messed up the door lock and door panels, battery, battery mount, stole my spare tire, everything is ripped up because of the search. The seats, dash, and other stuff I can't remember.. I don't get the car back yet. The insurance has the car and is having somebody look at it today to decide wether they're going to total it or pay to have it fixed. Oh and they had Toyota plates on the car and did an illegal U turn in front of the cops.. Which is how they were caught and how the cops knew it was a stolen car.

Last edited:

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My two cents...

I have a place on the side of a busy highway here in Washington where I like to go digging at, however it is in a super high prowl area, so precautions are a must. My Jeep has a starter kill switch installed by the previous owner which works great. The problem is (was) that people were not looking to steal cars in that area, just to steal the stuff inside, so I decided to try something different. The last few times I have gone out to that spot, I make sure to dump everything out of the jeep at home(including the glove box). When I park I just roll down all the windows (doesn't work in bad weather obviously), unlock the doors and carry my pack down to the spot. It does help that I recently started using a BGT, and now carry in a whole lot less gear. I agree with most above that any pitbull or similar feared "aggressive" breed of dog would do wonders in avoiding a repeat. When Its raining and I go to the spot I bring my Big brown pit...She is the biggest cuddle bear you have ever seen, but if she doesn't know you, she will sing to you, in the form of really loud and scary barks. IMG_2095.JPG

Hope the car thing works in your favor in the end N8..

JB

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jasper.jpg

I sure miss my buddy. They are good dogs. we just had to put him down this winter

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Sorry to hear about your buddy! we recently had to put down two of ours and it hurt! theyve become our children!Ive made limestone tombstones with their names and dates in them.

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice. We sure get attached to these guys.

Geochemdog

Greenie
Mar 22, 2014
Norcal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aint that the truth! Sorry to hear about the losses guys, sucks to have to loose your best friends.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thieves just need a $0.15 bullet placed between their eyes and they would be cured...

sent from a potato...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread