Worth detecting?

2mtech

Feb 16, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got permission to hunt an 80-acre farm field recently. In the middle of the field is a family burial plot (fairly common around here) with stones dating back to 1796. After a few grid searches and some help from old aerial maps I was able to locate the homesite, evidenced last weekend by finding a blue million square nails of several different sizes within fairly close proximity, not far from an ancient oak that was possibly 200+ years old near the edge of the field.

Here's my dilemma: The main reason I was given permission to hunt the area is the county is getting ready to put a new highway right through the middle of the field. I stopped by after work last night to swing for a couple hours before dark only to find that the county has blocked off the adjoining road, and they had hauled in some fill dirt. When I say "some", I mean there is a hummock of soil 3' deep and 6' across around the entire outer perimeter of the field, and sadly, the oak had been bulldozed into a pile of firewood. Soon this great site will fall victim to the wheels of development.

My question is...is it worth swinging the newly arrived fill? I have no idea where it came from, there aren't any new excavation pits in the immediate vicinity that I've seen, and it would sure be easy digging! But is there any point in it?

Upvote 0
Sounds like the old homestead would be a better area to focus on, especially since it will be gone soon.

I would hit the "virgin" soil first then the DOH dirt second.

Thanks for the replies...and the acronym education ;)

Hunt what you can while you have the opportunity. I'd start with the areas most likely to be developed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back