Would it be an upgrade?

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all

Just wondering wether a Safari, an Explorer or a Sov GT would be a real improvement compared to the Quattro I'm swinging now.

Hunt beaches, bot wet and clean dry places (the Q doesn't like iron trash)

It's not a question of depth, more a question of features.

Is the programmability of an Explorer really a plus?

Is The Safari really better in high trash?

Is the Sov the best detector for the beach?

Could I improve my Q with the new 11"DD coil?

I just don't know. Been thinking to "do something for months, and still don't know.

Funny thing is that in the meantime, I keep finding the goodies with the quattro.

Any help and comment would be appreciated.

Thank you folks.

Olegrumpy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing is wrong with swinging a Q. The new coil can be a nice added tool.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
safari quattro pretty similar. Simple menu Quattro is a good park and beach machine. Only complaint is its wait and battery usage. Other Minelabs look a bit less user friendly than the quattro or safari.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I love my Quattro! Finding more good stuff and oldies than ever before.

Put an 11" coil on this spring. It is a huge upgrade from the old slimline! I get more depth and better target seperation.
I will say that it is a whole new ballgame with the procoil. There is a new "frustration factor" when you first start using it.
It makes the machine act different, and if you are in an area with a whole lot of trash it will find ALL the iron!
It really is a great coil in an area that is not filled with trash.

I used it last night in our old fairgrounds. The ground was full of old nails and trash. After 45 minutes I switched to my 5" excellerator, and started finding coins. It is another tool, not perfect in all areas, but it sure shines when it finds it's own!

Good Luck,
Mark

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think adding the 11" coil will be your best bet. The Safari and Quattro are identical in looks. The Safari is just an upgradded Quattro with a little faster processer and a little newer internal circuits. There shouldn't be much difference. Unless you just want to spend big $$$ I'd stay with the quattro. Monty

OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well thank you all for all those advises.

I think I will indeed spend a bit more time with the Quattro.

And wait for a GT to pop up on the second hand market.

The Q is a great machine, but I want a good backup then instead of an upgrade.

They would complement each other, I think.

HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a backup I didn't go hi-tech because I also use my backup machines as a loaner to get other people interested in metal detecting. My main machine now is a Safari but I wouldn't expect a novice to be able to use it successfully. It would probably be so frustrating it would turn them off. I took a friend out with me last summer and gave him my ACE 250 to use. Set the automatic setting of "jewelry"on and let him go. I had a GTI 2500 at the time. I found a few dollars in clad and he found some clad and a very heavy white gold 14k mens wedding band! He now has a RS 3300. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread