Would like advice for Fisher F2

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hello everyone! I am new to this site, and have a problem with my F2 that has been bothering me . I was hoping that I could get a few thoughts on this. When using this machine, I have but one small problem. Everytime I bump the coil on something it beeps and regesters a quarter on the screen. This is with the 8" coil. The 4" coil does the same thing, although not as often. Be it a fence post or a clump of grass, it always does this. At first thought the 8" coil might be bad, but the 4" does it too. Is this just a normal thing, or do you think I have a problem with my machine. This is my first TID machine with a digital display, so I'm still in the learning curve. One other thing while I'm on the topic. I can only set the sensitivity up to 2 bars before the machine starts falsing. Sometimes I have to have it set a one bar (the lowest possible setting). I am using this detector in an area with lots of clay. Do other users have to run the sensitivity that low, or is it because of the clay? My other machines will tolerate much higher sensitivity settings than this one. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Chicken4U2

Jul 27, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine falses too when I bump the coil, and I've seen others posting the same. My sensitivity depends on soil, electrical interference, cell phone in my pocket, etc. Underground pet fence also makes mine speak in tongues when i'm anywhere in the lawn and the fence is turned on. On the norm, I can turn mine up to the next to last bar without any probs, but it varies on location.

OP
OP
slowNsteady

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Thanks for the input. I thought my problem might turn out to be nothing, but I wanted to find out. It has a few quirks but works fine. Heck, so do I. I can live with that. Since this is a new machine, I have not been out with it very much. As you mentioned, better soil might help the sensitivity. Again, I appreciate your input. Thanks.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
clearly your area has minerals in the clay - clay most often has minerals ( red clay especially is well known to have iron thats why its "rusty" colored)--- many times these minerals are seen as "metal" to the preset detectors - to blind them to the background minerals and prevent the from "falsing" non stop you have to run at low sensitivy levels * which you have already noticed and done * --- the real "cure" sadly is to get a differant machine that can "manually" ground balance * --P. S. most cheaper machines are "preset" ground balanced -- fine for most "non heavy mineral areas" --but in heavily mineralized areas --a manually adjustible ground balancing machine is the right gear for the area.

the "bump beep" is a common issue with lower end machines sadly --cure--- do not "bump" the coil on stuff

IAhunter

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2009
I have an F2 and it acts the same way yours does, just an F2 thing I guess. Beeps every time I bump anything, a little annoying at first but after awhile I don't even notice it. Sensitivity on mine is also the same as yours, I normally run mine on 2 or 3 bars for most of the places I hunt, still has good depth . Fun little machine , loves the silver and a real coin getter.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's unfortunate. Will make hunting in the woods a real pain. It might be caused by coil windings smushing together or a bad connector. I'd start with Fisher Service and see if they might replace the coil under warranty (or at least check it out).

PS - nice Avatar.

Attachments

• Chili Fly.jpg
    Chili Fly.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 576
OP
OP
slowNsteady

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Hello again. I have been digging a little deeper on this subject and am finding a pattern to this bump - beep issue. It seems that it may well be a chronic F2 issue. Many people are saying the same thing. I do intend to call Fisher and ask about it just to see what they think. This machine was bought for my girlfriend to use so I have to figure it all out before she uses it. If not she'll just get frusterated and won't use it. Anyway, I do appreciate all your input on the topic. Thanks again.

Charlie P, that's a great looking plane you have and it looks to be a beautiful flying site you have. Planes are my main hobby and have been flying them for many years. Lots of fun!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bounty hunters have this issue as well -- fisher --the "maker" of the F2 was bought out by bounty hunter (first texas * some time back)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread