Would like some thoughts about this piece

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across a bit of a head scratcher while I was looking for agates this morning. Any thoughts on this one? Of course, my wishful eyes say it could be a broken point as it would certainly work as one and does show some edge work (my not very experienced eyes think). On the other hand, one side along the edge (shown in the last pic) has a big white area that seems natural/left alone and I admit the shape there is kind of odd (more curved than most of what I see here). Perhaps a discarded piece broke in the making or just mother nature pulling tricks on me?

Unknown-Img_8052SSS.jpg

Unknown-Img_8053SSS.jpg

Unknown-Img_8054SSS.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Eric

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks NCPeaches, that is interesting that you find ones like this too.

Here are some direct sunlight pics. They may show the contours a little better.

Unknown-Img_8049SSS.jpg

Unknown-Img_8050SSS.jpg

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It look like just a flake of Oolithic Chert, but not an artifact. It is full of tiny Fossils.

Interesting. I do find a lot of this type of material. It seems to be the most common hard knappable material around here. I was starting to lean the way of geofact myself with this one due to the lack of distinctive flaking around it but it is always nice to get a 2nd opinion.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your item looks like a piece of fossil coral, but I don't believe it is a worked artifact.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your input. I will consider this one "touched by the reaper" and put it in my "curiosities" (geofact) collection. :)

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The shape of the flake in the last picture of the first post makes it look like a percussion flake. It might be a waste flake while someone was cleaning up a chunk of chert. Technically that would make it an artifact, but just barely. It doesn't look to have been used for anything.

If you find a lot of them like that one, it's a sign that someone was knapping points in the area, and that can lead you to more refined artifacts that they lost or discarded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread