would like to know....from all MDers....? your thoughts...?

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
would like to know....from all MD'er's....? your thoughts...?

Just thought I would get this question off my mind,............. from all the gals and guys out there that metal detect and go to places that hunt and search for stuff that intriques us to keep on doing this.................? For me......I just like getting out in forgotten places that no one cares about nowadays, and finding relics that the old pioneers before us had to work with,. With all this high tech stuff and modern equipment and tools...just amazees me that these simple iron tools that I find, are all they had to work with and used to progress to where we are today. These old pioneers were a pretty tough bunch I must say, and I would surely not want to live in the era they did, with all I know now.

I have been MD'n for years and have accumalated quite a lot of interesting stuff.......... .but get to thinking as I get older ............just what the hell am I gonna do with it?
Thinking maybe a local museum would be the best place.......otherwise it will just sit here or thrown out some day. Can not believe that when I talk to younger people and quiz them about the local and surrrounding history, they know nothing, or just seem plumb disenterested......and really don't care! Are the teachers nowdays teaching history or what....?

We all know that we are not gonna get rich doing this, and finding an old coin is just what i consider a "bonus" or" pie in the sky".....but my main interest is the "relics" left behind.........that no one else will find, unless we dig em' up and find a home somewhere for others to view. and may not even get viewed with the modern generation as it is nowdays.

Don't know...just may be "rattling on here", but I live in a very "historical" surrounding area, and have asked a lot of people young and old, about the history and what they grew up knowing about it,...........and they just don't know or have ever heard about it !...............just can't believe it.!

All these ole places will be gone fore long.............but maybe we can keep em' alive a little while longer...........and find what they left behind...!

Just curious why ya'll like to Metal Detech..............??? " Stickman"

urbanminer

May 21, 2007
Heart of Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre,Cutlass, Vaquero
Whites and B Hunter LandStar
Re: would like to know....from all MD'er's....? your thoughts...?

Welcome to TNet,

I too have the most interest in relic hunting.
My family recieved one of the first land grants in this area in 1854, two additional in 1856 and the last in 1857. I have spent the last few years researching maps, libraries and of course the family stories. There a few public parks that once belonged in these "farms". I hunt each of these parks often.
I have found so many things that I find interesting. Over several hunts at what I believe is the site of what had been a barn or other out building I found the lock from a chest of some sort, pieces of glass, shards of pottery, several square nails, horseshoes, links of chain and two forged knife blades. In a wooded area close by I've found many bullets and shotgun shell bases and my favorite one and only musket ball. One family member thought it may have been a hunting shack, near where the local Indians lived, but who knows.
These things have no value to speak of but I sure think they are priceless.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Anyone that's been hunting for a few can tell about artifacts they found. I leave a lot of mine. Even if I know the history behind them.

Why? Better condition artifacts are available in museums nearby. Most of what I find buried in the ground are so corroded and eaten by our acidic rainfall the details have been eaten off them.

Found an old plow with plow shares buried near a spring. Uncovered the top of it, saw the condition, then re-buried it. Figured if I took the several hours necessary to dig it out completely, would still need to move it somewhere to work on restoration, and ultimated decided it was better off right where it was.

I suppose a lot depends on what sort of artifacts are being found. Gold-mining era artifacts have a ready market for them as sourveniers and doo-dads for restaurants and offices. But large old plows? Not a lot of value there except as scrap metal that I could find. Interesting old metal-cleated tires, though.

manorman

Dec 8, 2008

i love the history of the relics, i thinks of how hard life must have been on the farm.
I always get a good laugh out of pepole now days who complain about how hard life is now days,
and complain about the stress of modern life.
i always tell them in the days of there grandparents out on the farm stress was knowing if the crops falied or the well went dry could end your way of life.
Mike

OP
OP
S

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

urbanminer said:
Welcome to TNet,

My family recieved one of the first land grants in this area in 1854, two additional in 1856 and the last in 1857. I have spent the last few years researching maps, libraries and of course the family stories. There a few public parks that once belonged in these "farms". I hunt each of these parks often.
I have found so many things that I find interesting. Over several hunts at what I believe is the site of what had been a barn or other out building I found the lock from a chest of some sort, pieces of glass, shards of pottery, several square nails, horseshoes, links of chain and two forged knife blades. In a wooded area close by I've found many bullets and shotgun shell bases and my favorite one and only musket ball. One family member thought it may have been a hunting shack, near where the local Indians lived, but who knows.

OP
OP
S

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

urbanminer said:
Welcome to TNet,

You are most lucky my man........that you can still hunt on the original land grants........in this area a lot were obtained from the original grantors by deviant land grabbers, speculators, and just natural no gooders and their band of desperadoes. Ain't it neat to find that old stuff...............lot of shooting going on............all them bulletts Keep on doing the research.. At least" you" can pass it on down in the family history and actually show some physical evidence.

OP
OP
S

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Tuberale said:
Anyone that's been hunting for a few can tell about artifacts they found. I leave a lot of mine. Even if I know the history behind them.

Why? Better condition artifacts are available in museums nearby. Most of what I find buried in the ground are so corroded and eaten by our acidic rainfall the details have been eaten off them.

Found an old plow with plow shares buried near a spring. Uncovered the top of it, saw the condition, then re-buried it. Figured if I took the several hours necessary to dig it out completely, would still need to move it somewhere to work on restoration, and ultimated decided it was better off right where it was.

I suppose a lot depends on what sort of artifacts are being found. Gold-mining era artifacts have a ready market for them as sourveniers and doo-dads for restaurants and offices. But large old plows? Not a lot of value there except as scrap metal that I could find. Interesting old metal-cleated tires, though.

You're right about that for sure............stuff i'am digging up is corroded beyond belief. Pure sand out here, and moisture is doing it's toll. Question for you? I know what a "plow" is .....but what is a "plow share"??...........learned recently that the difference between a "stable" and a "livery stable"...... is one from English origin......"livery" is where they charged for boarding horses.......I guess they didn't charge for "stable"......don't know??...........Don't rebury it.......put it in your collection!

OP
OP
S

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

manorman said:
i love the history of the relics, i thinks of how hard life must have been on the farm.
I always get a good laugh out of pepole now days who complain about how hard life is now days,
and complain about the stress of modern life.
i always tell them in the days of there grandparents out on the farm stress was knowing if the crops falied or the well went dry could end your way of life.
Mike

Yeh.......that's what gets me bout this stuff? These ole pioneers had a hard life for sure. Finding old iron stove parts and realizing they had to cook meals for more than one i'am sure.............day in and day out for god knows how long?.....with wood they had to cut and go fetch.......Just think......when I dig up part of an old cast iron stove i start thinking.............dang .............I would have hated to do this.......actually all year long....hot or cold????

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Stickman said:
You're right about that for sure............stuff i'am digging up is corroded beyond belief. Pure sand out here, and moisture is doing it's toll. Question for you? I know what a "plow" is .....but what is a "plow share"??...........learned recently that the difference between a "stable" and a "livery stable"...... is one from English origin......"livery" is where they charged for boarding horses.......I guess they didn't charge for "stable"......don't know??...........Don't rebury it.......put it in your collection!

It may just be my personal definition. The plow itself was a simple hardened stainless steel metal piece, harder than the plow. It was meant to be in the ground continuously, and therefore had to survive the abrasive effects of soil upon metal. Often polished by the abrasion. The plow itself was used just to get the share into place: a large iron finder which was attached to a metal frame, and was pulled behind oxen or horses.

If you travelled from one place to another, it was necessary to put your horse up in the same way that you would take a hotel or motel room. The horse would need water, hay and feed to remain in good operating condition.<G>

The piece I found appears to be a 2- or 3-share plow, and was completely buried while still upright. So about 2.5 feet underground plus fill on all sides. Would still need to use a tractor or other device to remove it from its grave. Don't have anyplace to store it for long term, so left it there.

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro

For me, it's the thrill of finding something that otherwise would be lost forever. Even the zincons, the more corroded it is the longer I think it was buried there.
When I bought my first md, a 30 dollar Bounty hunter, I walked up a hill from my house and found a spot that must've had a house on it. I found things like a buggy wrench, flat irons, buckles and old medicine bottles of all kinds. When I moved from there I left those things behind. I only wish I still had them.

Dustbuster

P.S. That Bounty Hunter used to pick up a radio station over by White Rock Lake too. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread