Would this be a good place to look?

Mamanay

Oct 11, 2006
Hi everyone, it's me again. I just love reading about everyone's finds and advice. Now I was wondering about some property my family owns. It's property 100 miles from St. Louis. A small town of around 100. Founded in the early 1800's. At one time had an old mill. My family has property that runs along the creek there. Been in the family for a very long time. Once was my grandparents. They had a one room cabin on the property that we all enjoyed until around 1982 when a flood took down the cabin and some other properties along the creek. The ground is mostly sand. We took a ride down there this past weekend. We don't get down there to often. Really just go down to make sure there are no squatters. Anyway, the property is very wooded now. Has some old appliances and things still there from the flood. I was wondering do you all think this would be a good place for me to take Justin my 12 yr old treasure hunting? Or should we stick closer to home like at the parks and such. Also if we should go down there and poke around should I have my hubby and family burn the lots before we start? Any and all advice would be so welcomed.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
If that is your property, go ahead, go and explore the land as much as you can...
make it look like it has an owner...and invite us to metal detect there too...LOL

K

Kentucky Kache

Any place that old which had human habitation has to be good.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Areas that are prone to flooding have never been good to me. There is too much debris that washes in. You might get a good signal and find a car buried 5 feet deep.
I have located many a picnic grove showing a hundred people having a picnic, but when I go to detect it, all I find are modern beer cans a foot deep.
It wouldn't hurt to give it a try though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread