Would this be too mean of a trick to play on someone?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
004.JPG 005.JPG My uncle is a newbie to the sport:metaldetector:,and he seems to be very excited about it!I think he has a good sense of humor,but is kind of a possessive person.He is always talking about "that gold coin out there",So I thought I might plant this one on him:laughing7:.Personally, I would be a little upset at first,But laugh at it later.what do you guys think? :coins:

DiggetyDog

Nov 8, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTRA 705
MINELAB CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he isn't much bigger than you then go for it!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he isn't much bigger than you then go for it!
:laughing7:he is bigger,but a pretty passive guy.I like your way of thinking thow,plus I can run if I have too!

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you ever read my post after Christmas, my sis in law buried v nicks and barber halves, and it turned into a cluster f. do him a favor, lay it flat in an obvious place, not 10 inches deep on edge. yes, I am still pissed about it. your situation is different, and you mostly don't have morons for family members.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is funny. I would love to place that in a hole for my buddy to find. I can only imagine him looking at the bottom of the hole and the token staring back at him with that smart-a** remark. I will have to find one of those. Too funny.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
put a note by it:laughing7:

I just found one on Feebay. I am going to put one of the happy face stickers on the eagle side and he could flip it over. I think that i have one with a tongue sticking out.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just don't have a sense of humor when it comes to finds. I don't think its a nice thing to do.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he has a sense of humor it will work. My nut job family has pulled several on me from drilling a hole in a small log loading it with quarters then throwing it in the wood pile, to burying a gold ring because they wanted me to "find something" in their yard!....they are ALL still alive! It was hard to give the ring back!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw. . . I'd go for it. And as "AA" said: put a note with it.

My son buried a quarter with a note wrapped around it the night
I got my first detector. . . I still have the note and quarter. I should have
known something was up when I noticed my whole family with their faces
pressed against the window :laughing9:

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever read my post after Christmas, my sis in law buried v nicks and barber halves, and it turned into a cluster f. do him a favor, lay it flat in an obvious place, not 10 inches deep on edge. yes, I am still pissed about it. your situation is different, and you mostly don't have morons for family members.
I have not been on treasure net that long!Sounds like you are not too happy about it thow.But that would be half the fun to make him dig a little for it.I am thinking ,mabey 5 or 6 inches.:icon_scratch:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some would find it hilarious.......others would find a new hunting partner.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just don't have a sense of humor when it comes to finds. I don't think its a nice thing to do.
See, thats what I am worried about.I dont want no one mad at me!Might be a good way to test character too.:lightbulb:See if he sticks it in his pocket real fast and doesn;t tell me he found something.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My beeping partner and I have fun like this. We usually just do things such as accusing each other that we "cheated" by bringing coins home or yell at each other to get away from my AO (area of operation) when we are detecting. Usually, he accuses me of bringing coins from the house because I kick his butt when we go out :laughing7:. He likes to tell me that I get him down because I look at a yard and tell him that we probably won't get permission to beep (ruin his momentum he calls it) because the yard is too nice, etc.

You got to have a sense of humor about all this. Face it, it is pure irony that people will go out and dig with their fingers in the heat or frost to find a couple of pennies and using hundreds of dollars worth of equipment to do so, that most people wouldn't bend down to pick up even if they dropped it themselves!

Last edited:

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To some people it might be funny, to some I don't know if you could duck fast enough. Some people take things seriously when it comes to different things like that.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did this once to a friend in Florida. We were hunting the Treasure Coast near Ft. Pierce. My son and I had gone by the Mel Fisher Museum in Sebastian a few days earlier.
I had bought one of the fake gold coins there with the intention of pulling the stunt on him. It worked like a charm. He was dancing around in circles when he dug it up. We all knew that it was fake...except him...so we all started laughing. Only wish I had a camera at the time to record the look on his face. He had pulled a stunt on me some time before that...so we didn't feel too bad about
getting him back. After he realized it was fake..he said..."I thought the weight of it seemed odd..." We said.."Sure you did...that's why you were dancing in circles huh?" No sense of humor? Everybody needs one at one time or another...........:tongue3:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a case of if this happened to you, it would be hilarious. If it happened to me, it would be 'an unfortunate, ill-thought out act that set in motion a chain of tragic events'. (At least that's what I imagine my defense attorney would tell the jury in opening statements.) Just kiddin, go for it. Get pics of him findin that if you can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread