Status
Not open for further replies.

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Where The Four Winds Blow
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps this has been hashed out before but here's the question : Would you ask permission from the government to dig with heavy equipment on a mining claim you legally own & pay fees & taxes on? I say hell no. As long as you are not doing something illegal like destroying creeks or ruining the environment why would you ask them for permission? If I had a claim I would do what I wanted on it & if anyone told me different I'd show them off the claim in no uncertain way. I'd tell them to mind their own business & leave me alone. I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time with a spade shovel if I had the resources to run equipment unless I was just in it for a hobby which is fine. No disrespect to those that just want to have a little fun as a hobby but screw that as far as I'm concerned. I'd want to rip it up & have some real fun. Why would I crawl to the government begging them for permission to mine my claim? This is America. It could take a month or more to dig down to bedrock depending on your ground & you'd kill yourself doing it. I would get an excavator & be down there in 10 minutes. That's what will get you the gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All I have to do is get my certification from them. Doesn't look too hard. Then if I ever start mining they can come in & inspect my operation. Right now I haven't even got a place to mine LOL.

If you develop thebreoutation as a "rogue operator" in the eyes of the BLM or the USFS, yes, you will have to worry about them.

For what you want to do, just file a NOI, post the bond, and go. The bond should only be a few hundred bucks. And you will get that money back after thebhkles are filled in and regarded. It's not that hars.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, all this started because our OP here piped up in another person's thread about how stupid they were for only using a shovel and that he would use whatever equipment he wanted and he would physically run off any person who stepped foot on HIS CLAIM. He never stopped to ask where the person was mining (not even what country) or what the LAWS were in that area.

Now it seems he does want to beg the govt for "permission"... filing claims, getting MSHA certified, I bet he'll even be filing NOIs and paying bonds next. :laughing7:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know, all this started because our OP here piped up in another person's thread about how stupid they were for only using a shovel and that he would use whatever equipment he wanted and he would physically run off any person who stepped foot on HIS CLAIM. He never stopped to ask where the person was mining (not even what country) or what the LAWS were in that area.

Now it seems he does want to beg the govt for "permission"... filing claims, getting MSHA certified, I bet he'll even be filing NOIs and paying bonds next. :laughing7:

The funny thing about all of this is the fact that if you try and get "hardnosed" with most of these people, you're gonna be waiting a long damn time to mine anything.

Cse in point, one of our claims had a "water withdrawal" in it. We found out when we filed the NOI. Now because we chose to work within the system, the USFS is working with us to get it removed. It will take some time, but it will get done.

Now get caught mining on "withdrawn" property and you will go down very hard.

On another piece of property, we are planning on bringing in core rigs so the USFS is working with us to find ways to reduce the bonds necessary to get it done.

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Ain't no need for that talk son. I told you I won't break the law. Here's my buddy from Nebraska. We call him Farm Boss.

Attachments

• img107.jpg
    img107.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The funny thing about all of this is the fact that if you try and get "hardnosed" with most of these people, you're gonna be waiting a long damn time to mine anything.

Cse in point, one of our claims had a "water withdrawal" in it. We found out when we filed the NOI. Now because we chose to work within the system, the USFS is working with us to get it removed. It will take some time, but it will get done.

Now get caught mining on "withdrawn" property and you will go down very hard.

On another piece of property, we are planning on bringing in core rigs so the USFS is working with us to find ways to reduce the bonds necessary to get it done.

I think there are a few of us that have actual businesses, and know how to thread the needle between getting work done in industries where we are not always looked upon with greatness from our neighbors (for me it is farming, logging and mining), and working with the government agencies that oversee what we do.

When given real world examples I noted that there was no reply, just false bravado. It is not 1975 anymore, there are real consequences for our actions, and it is a fool who does not consider them carefully.

It is pretty easy to go online and tell people what you and a "buddy" PLAN to do, and yet quite another to ACTUALLY feed your family, work all day, and then interact with government employees to make all that happen.

I have greater respect for a man who actually shovels 5 gallons of real earth over the course of an entire day, then a person who PLANS to build the largest gold mine in North America. There is nothing wrong with planning, dreaming and hoping, and I will be right along with you on that fun stuff, but even Billy the Kid would not take money from a man with callouses on his hands because even an outlaw had respect for a man who works.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BTW: For al the people out there that use shovels...good for you.

I am on here because the right front planetary on my loader is locked up so tight, I cannot even move the machine. Trust me when I say, I would rather be beside a river shoveling BY HAND gravel into a sluice then tearing apart a planetary axle to figure out why it is locked up.

I will be the first to admit, I spend a lot of time wrenching, and a lot of money NOT using a shovel! :-)

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not interested in starting some big mining business but instead going out & having some fun & making some money while i'm at it. Shoveling gravels all day by hand is not my idea of fun. To each his own & great for the people who like doing that. Sounds to me like you need to get back to work on that loader - you've got some manure to load & spread.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Starting small at maybe 400 to 500 yards per day as stated in your other thread doesn't sound like casual going out and having some fun make a little money on the side activity.

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
That's small if you are using a large excavator & wash plant. Big is 1000 yds a day or more. I suppose it's a relative thing. As long as I have time to drink some beer at the end of the day i'm good.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's small if you are using a large excavator & wash plant. Big is 1000 yds a day or more. I suppose it's a relative thing. As long as I have time to drink some beer at the end of the day i'm good.

? ? ? 1000 yards a day is "strip mining" heh

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Most small mining companies run 100 - 200 yds/hr plants. For a real mining company you would need to run at least 1000 yds a day but more likely 2000 yds or more per day. My goal of 400 yds per day is nothing - amateur stuff to them.

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure why that is funny to you. That took yrs of hard work & saving to afford. Looks like some of you are the jealous type. No problem, I only deal with real men face to face. Doubt you qualify. It's built only on order & will take 3 or 4 months for them to build it. Now I got to get busy & find my ground.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure why that is funny to you. That took yrs of hard work & saving to afford. Looks like some of you are the jealous type. No problem, I only deal with real men face to face. Doubt you qualify. It's built only on order & will take 3 or 4 months for them to build it. Now I got to get busy & find my ground.

What is funny is you coming here starting some of the threads you have and then thinking you can move 40-50 yards an hour through a trommel by yourself. You do realize that moving 50 yards an hour through a trommel actually means your gonna have to move 100 yards an hour right?

So how big of an excavator you gonna get? What about the water requirements? What about fuel requirements? And a whole host of other things that WILL put you on the radar real quick?

I think you've been watching way too much Gold Rush and are in way over your head.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Silveraith my brother and I own dozens of claims in the Rye Patch area of Nevada. We aren't full-time prospectors but we are out there constantly and are well-known (in a very good way) to the locals that have been out there for generations.

Getting in with the locals took years but it was time well invested.

When you're ready to challenge the Reno BLM we will gladly sign over to you a claim that if you're willing to dig will produce the gold.

We know where the good spots are. Anyone willing to get the equipment on site may very well produce enough for profit. I've always maintained that getting along with the BLM produces results. But perhaps your mantra of going head-to-head has it's merits. Every revolution has it's leaders. Perhaps you're one of them.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread