warning.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 480

Mojave

Nov 19, 2006
Louisville Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III, Whites GMT, Bounty Hunters, Raytek & Aqua Survey
Re: "would you go down an old mine, cave or drain pipe"

Every chance I get...... Haven't been lost or hurt yet...... And, if i did, I think that that would be the way to go...... Can't keep me out of em.... :)

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Not anymore, but I used to think myself invicible when I was younger. Friend had a cave on his farm, but the entrance was a hole straight down in the earth. We could barely see the floor with a flashlight, so we got a rope and my two friends "volunteered" to lower me down. I had the flashlight and as I got lower into the pit, I could see all those sharp stalagtite things sticking up from the floor. Well, things got worse from there. The cold water dripping from up top of the hole was landing on my hands and my fingers started to freeze. Pretty soon, I could barely hold on anymore and started begging my buddies to pull me up because I couldn't grip the rope. I wedged myself in between a couple rocks and tied the rope around my waist and those two little guys managed to haul my ass out ! Thought I was going to be a relic for some archeologist to find in a few hundred years impaled on spikes at the bottom of the pit ! Needless to say, we never atempted that again. Youth can make you do stupid things.

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P

In a "Heartbeat"

MB

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, but only if research led me there. Like a good detective, follow the leads

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi all,Late afternoon news " All found safe and well".Thats good news :)

tinpan

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tinpan said:
hi all,Late afternoon news " All found safe and well".Thats good news :)

tinpan

Thanks Tinpan.

Great News.

Jeff

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

PTL!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not anymore, but I used to think myself invicible when I was younger. Friend had a cave on his farm, but the entrance was a hole straight down in the earth. We could barely see the floor with a flashlight, so we got a rope and my two friends "volunteered" to lower me down. I had the flashlight and as I got lower into the pit, I could see all those sharp stalagtite things sticking up from the floor. Well, things got worse from there. The cold water dripping from up top of the hole was landing on my hands and my fingers started to freeze. Pretty soon, I could barely hold on anymore and started begging my buddies to pull me up because I couldn't grip the rope. I wedged myself in between a couple rocks and tied the rope around my waist and those two little guys managed to haul my ass out ! Thought I was going to be a relic for some archeologist to find in a few hundred years impaled on spikes at the bottom of the pit ! Needless to say, we never atempted that again. Youth can make you do stupid things.

Same here for being invincible when younger. Now that I am much older and wiser I only do stupid things.

HH,
Sandman

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LOL hey Sandman, that reminds me of me hehehehe ;D

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

Did anyone notice the article said they were feared lost or something had happened and they couldn't find their way out . ??? ???

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Old mine maybe. Cave definately. Drain pipe probably not.

J

joseph

I AM TO FAT FOR A DRAIN PIPE THE OTHER TWO I SHOULD FIT INTO ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, I don't have the arm and leg stength to pull myself out like I did when I was a youngster. The only way I would do it now is if I had the necessary back up and equipment to do it safely. The area I live in was an ancient inland sea eons ago and there is a lot of limestone bluffs and caves full of fossils. A great many artifacts of earlier civilization has been found and in the late 1800s a lot of outlaws hid out in the caves and overhangs. We use to go exploring them when I was a teenager and luckily none of us got hurt, a miracle in itself. Monty

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

I love caves. There aren't many around me, but I would go into any cave... as long as I had proper gear. I've been in quite a few, and loved them all. Had a few scary moments, but now, being older and much wiser, I avoid those with proper preparation. Proper gear is a must, and never without notifying someone of EXACTLY where I was going.
steve

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Tinny, Did the news state what had happened? Were they lost,fell in a hole, what?

I dont like tight spaces...so going into a drainpipe might be out, but a cave or well I wouldnt have a problem with. In my youth I would have explored anything with out a care, but now I would definitely be better prepared ,proper gear,etc.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

No. I live in Gold Country and we know that fooling around mines and caves can and have been deadly. People have been known to get lost, die from poisonous gas, cave in or even the entrance can be undermined. You just never know.
We always say that the reason the original miners left was because nothing was left. So why chance it?

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA

This is accually a hard one, I still do caves and mines and at the same time tell others not to. Way to many ways to get hurt bad. If you die you die and there is a lot of ways to do that too.

In my mind mines are the worse, I have personally had old wooden latters break, fall off the wall and end 30-40 feet above the next level, cave ins, snakes, wild pigs, pits, lots of water, old sweaty dynamite, and chemicals. On the good side I have found lots of stuff in them, both left behind and minerals, but if hunting gold, the tailings are a much better place to look.

Brad

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

One more time.

For you own safety stay the heck out of these places. Anybody that’s been around this kind of industry will tell you that you’re a fool if you fool around mines and tunnels or any confined spaces for that matter. Please, just yahoo or google Mine Safety and you'll find gobs of information. Below is quoted from the Utah BLM link.
http://dogm.nr.state.ut.us/amr/AMBROCHR.HTM

This quote from the BLM:
Abandon Mines Are Unstable:
Mine shafts are vertical mine openings. They represent the number one cause of death and injury in abandoned mines. Because no light enters a mine shaft, the depth is difficult to assess. The shaft collar may be loose and unconsolidated. This material can break away, causing individuals to fall into the shaft. Darkness, loose debris, false floors, rotten timbers, and water can hide vertical openings.
Explosives become highly unstable with time and when exposed to the elements. Old dynamite often contains nitroglycerine, which can explode with the slightest disturbance. Perhaps the most dangerous explosives are blasting caps. Rodents can scatter blasting caps on the mine floor. If stepped on, they will explode. A blasting cap resembles a firecracker with wires
Highwalls are vertical cliffs. They are common features of open pit mines and quarries which can be unstable and prone to collapse. Do not stand near or under highwalls nor attempt to climb them

Unpredictable:
Mines are not caves. Caves are formed naturally over thousands or even millions of years. Mines are man-made by blasting, which fractures and weakens the surrounding rocks. Vibrations from walking or even speaking can cause an abandoned mine to cave in.

Abandoned mines are not ventilated. Consequently, pockets of deadly air and gases can be present. Even experienced cavers can die exploring mines, due to lack of oxygen.

Structures are dilapidated. Support timbers, headframes, ladders, pump jacks, tanks, and other related structures may seem safe and solid; but rotted wood will easily crumble under a person's weight. Don't be fooled by appearances. Do not climb on, around, or under structures.

Animals live in abandoned mines. Rattlesnakes, bats, bears, or mountain lions can den or escape the heat in the dark recesses of a mine. Underground mines can be critical habitat for such species. You should not disturb them.

Unsafe:
Bad Air is oxygen-deficient or toxic air that can build up in abandoned mines, causing dizziness or even unconsciousness. Bad air is odorless and tasteless. Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide often collect in low areas or along the floor in horizontal workings.

The motion of walking can cause bad air to mix with good air.
Radioactivity is the result of the natural decay process of radioactive minerals (uranium, vanadium, etc.). The effects of radiation exposure are cumulative through a lifetime. Excessive exposure can be harmful or eventually fatal. Many abandoned uranium mines in southern Utah are potential sources of radiation.

Hazardous Waste such as bags or drums of chemicals used in mining, milling or drilling operations can pose a threat when touched or smelled by an uninformed person. Illegal dumping of industrial hazardous waste can also occur.
Water Hazards occur in flooded abandoned mines. Shallow water can conceal drop-offs (winzes), sharp objects, and other hazards. You can drown in a water-filled shaft.

We Need Your Help:
Abandoned mines are hazardous and should be left alone. For your own safety and the safety of others, do not try to enter abandoned mines. Vandalism of closures endangers innocent people and wastes tax dollars.
To learn more about the dangers of abandoned mines, call the BLM or the State of Utah for a copy of a public safety video entitled "STAY OUT and STAY ALIVE: Abandoned Mine Safety".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions