Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run an ad on Craigslist once in awhile to see if I can get a new lead or two for MDing older properties.
Here is a recent reply I got:

"125 year old property, 103 year old house 15 acres with tenant house foundations scattered throughout. You may hunt 1 afternoon per week Mon-Fri only. Booty split 50/50 but I get first pick."

My only glitch is that I work Mon-Fri like most people. By the time I get there, I would have about 90 minutes to detect since it gets dark so early. I was hoping that once I met the owner and hopefully gained his trust, he would let me MD on the weekends instead.

My question is.........if this were presented to you would you take it or pass? Fair deal?

Just curious.
Thanks,
MM

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pass....... For one, since they answered Craigslist advertisement they have time to shop for a detector themselves. There won't be no gaining any trust with someone that says up front that they get first pick. Plan on going somewhere else.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
ModernMiner,
PLAY, PLAY, PLAY THE GAME

heck, give it a try under his/her terms. Won't be
much time hunting, but like you said, " once I met the
owner and hopefully gained his trust," things could get better
and you may get weekends. Terms could change also.

Give it a try.
You ran an ad; you found a spot, check it out.

Could turn out to be a poor area; but if you pass it up
you will never know; go for it..............PLAY

'PLAY THE GAME" :wink: 8) :icon_pirat:

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ModernMiner:

I wonder if the person who responded to your post actually owns the property. Why would a property owner only permit you to hunt one day a week Monday - Friday? Perhaps because that person knows the owner will not be around.

Second, the 50/50 split "but I get first pick" is not a good start. However, to address that I would say "OK - I split into two piles and you pick yours." Or, the property owner makes the division (first pick) and you select your pile.

Third, if you decide to go for it, and you are sure you are dealing with the owner, start slow and see how the first split goes. Amateurs don't realize the practice and skill it takes to become really good with a detector.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Take a few old junk silver dimes with you, and some wheaties. Mix them in with the swag and see what happens. You'll only be out a coupla bucks, but if the guy cherrypicks the goodies and leaves you the crappe', you'll know exactly who you're dealing with. Then make your decision from there. :)

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Suspect is his 50/50 first choice deal, is his intent to follow you around like a lost puppy? ???

The point not that your not trust worthy but rather the owner assuming your not trust worthy
and hanging out with you.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
So...if that person isn't standing next to you, working the ground with you, how do they know what you pulled outta there?

You do all the work, they get first pick?

And what in the world is with the M-F bit? That's the strangest restriction I've ever heard of.

Sounds like someone is too lazy to do the work or like someone said...they don't own it.

Too weird to be a good deal.

Maybe they're looking for something and it's all a bit shady.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo said:
ModernMiner:

I wonder if the person who responded to your post actually owns the property. Why would a property owner only permit you to hunt one day a week Monday - Friday? Perhaps because that person knows the owner will not be around.

Second, the 50/50 split "but I get first pick" is not a good start. However, to address that I would say "OK - I split into two piles and you pick yours." Or, the property owner makes the division (first pick) and you select your pile.

Third, if you decide to go for it, and you are sure you are dealing with the owner, start slow and see how the first split goes. Amateurs don't realize the practice and skill it takes to become really good with a detector.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Old Book,
I really like your idea #2. That is a fantastic idea! :thumbsup: I'll separate the piles and let him pick first. That's very fair.
Great idea.
Thanks,
MM

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
The only thing worse then finding nothing is finding something great then having it taken away. I'd pass, unless he wants to split the total profits 50/50. But there is no way I would let them have first dibs on what I found. Id tell him a 50/50 split on everything found or no deal.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I would pass....... For one, since they answered Craigslist advertisement they have time to shop for a detector themselves. There won't be no gaining any trust with someone that says up front that they get first pick. Plan on going somewhere else.

Thanks for your input Sandman.
This guy can afford a detector for sure (he owns a commercial realty company), but I'm thinking like a lot of property owners they don't have or want to spend the time doing the work.
-MM-

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
ModernMiner,
PLAY, PLAY, PLAY THE GAME

heck, give it a try under his/her terms. Won't be
much time hunting, but like you said, " once I met the
owner and hopefully gained his trust," things could get better
and you may get weekends. Terms could change also.
Give it a try.
You ran an ad; you found a spot, check it out.

Could turn out to be a poor area; but if you pass it up
you will never know; go for it..............PLAY

'PLAY THE GAME" :wink: 8) :icon_pirat:

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

Thanks Sherm.
I think once the guy meets me and sees I'm a decent guy, we can hopefully come to better terms. I usually make the property owner a nice shadowbox of relics from their property anyways.
I'm going to PLAY and see how it goes.
-MM-

Grinchy Elf said:
Take a few old junk silver dimes with you, and some wheaties. Mix them in with the swag and see what happens. You'll only be out a coupla bucks, but if the guy cherrypicks the goodies and leaves you the crappe', you'll know exactly who you're dealing with. Then make your decision from there. :)

Great tip Grinchy. I'll have some extra coins with me. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Blacksheep said:
Suspect is his 50/50 first choice deal, is his intent to follow you around like a lost puppy? ???

The point not that your not trust worthy but rather the owner assuming your not trust worthy
and hanging out with you.

Blacksheep,
That is where I draw the line. I don't mind splitting my finds, but I refuse to hunt with someone hanging over my shoulder for too long. If that's the case I'll start hunting in all metal mode and digging up every piece of cr-p until he gets tired of watching. ;D :wink:
Normally someone will get bored within the first 5 minutes. ;D
-MM-

Tricia said:
So...if that person isn't standing next to you, working the ground with you, how do they know what you pulled outta there?
You do all the work, they get first pick?
And what in the world is with the M-F bit? That's the strangest restriction I've ever heard of.Sounds like someone is too lazy to do the work or like someone said...they don't own it.
Too weird to be a good deal.
Maybe they're looking for something and it's all a bit shady.

Thanks Tricia.
The person really wouldn't know what I find if they aren't right there. I'm an honest person though (sometimes too honest :wink: ) and would give him his fair cut for the priviledge of MDing the property.
I agree though, that M-F thing hit me as very weird. :icon_scratch:
-MM-

EdleBrock said:
"Booty ."

Careful...he sounds link a real Pirate...Arrrrg...

;D :thumbsup: Maybe he's used to splitting with ocean beach MDer's . :tongue3:
-MM-

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
That's a tough call but I think i would go and talk it over about the first pick. I could live with he gets to pick the first item and I get the second item and so on and on. This still gives him the first pick to make him feel good and in control but only of one item then its my turn. ;D

Later Jim

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimmyT said:
That's a tough call but I think i would go and talk it over about the first pick. I could live with he gets to pick the first item and I get the second item and so on and on. This still gives him the first pick to make him feel good and in control but only of one item then its my turn. ;D

Later Jim

Thanks Jim.
I sure hope that is what he meant by getting first pick. He gets the first piece, then me, then him, etc. That was how I took it. If he thinks he's taking all of the good stuff first and leaving me with the leftovers he's nuts. :tard: :tongue3:
-MM-

Jimmy(PA) said:
The only thing worse then finding nothing is finding something great then having it taken away. I'd pass, unless he wants to split the total profits 50/50. But there is no way I would let them have first dibs on what I found. Id tell him a 50/50 split on everything found or no deal.

I agree Jimmy. It would be tough to see a prized find go to him first. I'm going to try what Old Book recommended above. That's fair I think.
Actually, this is the first time I've ever run into this since I started detecting. Normally the property owners just let me keep it all. They love to see what I find, but that is about it. I always give them something though for letting me detect.
-MM-

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pass too. Sounds like he would give you a hard time with too many conditions! Do what you want,just my opinion.

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
MM - you know me and my sunny disposition :D when it comes to certain kinds o'folks these days. This guy sounds like he knows he's got the goods on his land but does not want to do the work (might ruin his manicure). His attitude towards the finds and the "no weekends" thing are definitely red flags in my book. Lets say you go out there - dig some fantastic stuff - next thing you know, he's picked out the goodies and left you with "crappe" THEN he suddenly does not want you to hunt there again (I'm such an optimistic guy :happy11:).

I know firsthand that your a top notch guy when it comes to respecting the property/owners wherever you hunt, but there's something about this that screams "PASS". If you go for it, I hope I'm wrong about him.

Besides, you'll be knee-deep in colonial field mud on Saturday!!! :wink::occasion18:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Doug...

I would pass.

Or, do your homework and take a partner...

With the stuff you've been finding you can afford to pass on a few "opportunities" that seem like something else is going on.

Thats just me.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I'd PASS big time, Doug. Sounds like this guy is an untrusting control freak. This type doesn't like to change, either. It's just not worth the aggravation to me.

If he wants first pick, let him get a detector and pick it all himself. That's what I'd do, anyway. 8)

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
At first glance, that response seems pretty weird and restrictive. But after thinking about it, the guy doesn't know you from Adam. He doesn't know if you're an undesirable type, a crackhead, a thief, or whatever. So, in light of that, I can understand him wanting to start off with as much control of the situation as he can at the beginning. Once he sees you're a stand-up guy and can be trusted, who knows. If he owns a real-estate company, it might open the doors to a zillion other possible places to hunt.

I think I'd start off with a quick hunt, cherry picking for 2 reasons. One...to get a feel for the place and see how thick it is with finds and if it's even worth the effort. Two...to see how the owner treats you; in the dividing of the finds, but also in general. If it looks good, visit again, but you should get a feel for it pretty quick and you'll know whether you want to continue or not.

One thing I can't stand is for someone to be constantly watching me out of the corner of their eye like they don't trust me. I also won't hunt when the property owner takes the position that they are doing me a great favor.

Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasuredog said:
I would pass too. Sounds like he would give you a hard time with too many conditions! Do what you want,just my opinion.

Thanks TD. :thumbsup:
-MM-

DD-777 said:
MM - you know me and my sunny disposition :D when it comes to certain kinds o'folks these days. This guy sounds like he knows he's got the goods on his land but does not want to do the work (might ruin his manicure). His attitude towards the finds and the "no weekends" thing are definitely red flags in my book. Lets say you go out there - dig some fantastic stuff - next thing you know, he's picked out the goodies and left you with "crappe" THEN he suddenly does not want you to hunt there again (I'm such an optimistic guy :happy11:).

I know firsthand that your a top notch guy when it comes to respecting the property/owners wherever you hunt, but there's something about this that screams "PASS". If you go for it, I hope I'm wrong about him.

Besides, you'll be knee-deep in colonial field mud on Saturday!!! :wink::occasion18:

Thanks Andy. :icon_sunny:
I'll have to at least give it a shot to see what happens. I hope he turns out to be a decent guy too. :-\
-Doug-

texastee2007 said:
maybe check at the court house who owns the property and see if you can find out anything that only the real owner would know...something sounds fishy. I suppose a person could use a two bag system where they picked up all the trash items for disposal...who knows what a hidden hole in that bag might contain??? ::) Maybe good for the occational real nice stuff.

I like your style TT. :thumbsup: ;D
Thanks,
MM

Montana Elf said:
Doug...
I would pass.
Or, do your homework and take a partner...
With the stuff you've been finding you can afford to pass on a few "opportunities" that seem like something else is going on.
Thats just me.

Thanks Jim.
Great to hear from you big guy. :thumbsup: I hope all is well in sunny warm Montana. ;D :wink:
-Doug-

kimsdad said:
I'd PASS big time, Doug. Sounds like this guy is an untrusting control freak. This type doesn't like to change, either. It's just not worth the aggravation to me.

If he wants first pick, let him get a detector and pick it all himself. That's what I'd do, anyway. 8)

Thanks Neil.
I forgot to mention that I received his reply back in mid November and was told I could start "after the holidays on Jan. 10th". That also seemed a bit controlling, not to mention a long wait. His replies back to me are very brief, like only a few words too. Hmmmm. :icon_scratch:
-Doug-

cheese said:
At first glance, that response seems pretty weird and restrictive. But after thinking about it, the guy doesn't know you from Adam. He doesn't know if you're an undesirable type, a crackhead, a thief, or whatever. So, in light of that, I can understand him wanting to start off with as much control of the situation as he can at the beginning. Once he sees you're a stand-up guy and can be trusted, who knows. If he owns a real-estate company, it might open the doors to a zillion other possible places to hunt.

I think I'd start off with a quick hunt, cherry picking for 2 reasons. One...to get a feel for the place and see how thick it is with finds and if it's even worth the effort. Two...to see how the owner treats you; in the dividing of the finds, but also in general. If it looks good, visit again, but you should get a feel for it pretty quick and you'll know whether you want to continue or not.

One thing I can't stand is for someone to be constantly watching me out of the corner of their eye like they don't trust me. I also won't hunt when the property owner takes the position that they are doing me a great favor.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks Cheese.
"I think I'd start off with a quick hunt, cherry picking for 2 reasons. One...to get a feel for the place and see how thick it is with finds and if it's even worth the effort. Two...to see how the owner treats you; in the dividing of the finds, but also in general. If it looks good, visit again, but you should get a feel for it pretty quick and you'll know whether you want to continue or not."

Well said. I think after my maiden voyage there I'll get a good feeling of the owner and if the property is worth the effort. If I don't go the first time, it will eat away at me to know if I passed on a great spot or not. :icon_scratch:
-MM-

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...if it were me... :icon_scratch:

I'm more into the thrill of the hunt, not so much for the greed factor.

Yea, I'd feel some sadness if I found a nice, silver half and the owner picked it as his share, but then...that's one half I would never have found had I not detected the yard. It would be a notch in my belt.... :thumbsup:

You ran your ad specifically to find great places to detect....now you got one!

Some suggested you seed your finds with junk coins......would the owner then think there are lots of finds and expect that from you every time?

And I'm no saint, but lets try to maintain some honesty in this hobby. Sticking that nice silver half in my pocket, not letting the owner know about it or whomever is the controlling realtor, after agreeing to specific terms, is just down-right wrong to me and would haunt me.

I would like to think I could trust my fellow TH'ers if we went searching for some hoard or a place together and agreed to split finds that they would. :coffee2:

Peace and goodwill to all. Happy holidays folks.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread