Wounded Indian Rescued From Waterline.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Headed for therapy along the Rock River @ Lowell Park in Dixon, Illinois. Searched for awhile up above the river and was not getting much. Hit the river bank and rescued the wounded 1885 Indian Head Cent. Looks like Annie Oakley popped a cap in it's butt.:o:laughing7: It was right on the waterline and just beneath the surface. Kinda' weird as I have covered this area several times and usually just find zinc and modern coins? Also found the aluminum Jumbo Jet ring where they removed a shelter. I was hoping for some barber silver there as they ripped up a good chunk of dirt but alas it was thoroughly seeded with pull tabs and no coins I could find. Got a 1936 D wheatie on the river bank break off swinging vertically. Found the General Electric thingy and not sure what it is? I also found "part" of a Zincoln which seemed to snap apart? Damnable fake money is worthless!!!:BangHead: Had a great day and found some cool stuff. Hope ya'll have a great Sunday Funday. Kurios1

Wounded Indian Lowell Park 002.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 004.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 007.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 008.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 010.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 011.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 012.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 013.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 014.JPG Wounded Indian Lowell Park 015.JPG

Upvote 27

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a real good sign for some silver around there. Good finds! [emoji106]

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trying to figure out that GE piece. Looks to small for a fuse holder. Nearest thing I can come up with is a key for an industrial machine.

I doubt your Indian will recover. But can now rest comfortably.

Too bad that's a kiddie ring. I sorta like the design and would wear one. LOL I could spin some tall tails when asked about it.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, nice hunt for sure....U know those pencil erasers are really close to a nickel hit for me. Congrats on a good day out...:thumbsup:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow the IHP been though a lot! Congrats and HH

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better run, K1, there's a coin abuser in them there parts! :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the interesting finds! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Somebody had good shooting skills hitting the IHP but that poor Zincoln is one hurting coin.
The GE 5N piece has some #/letters going down the side of the shank, that might narrow down the ID. I'm thinking it's out of a disconnect fuse panel and lots of the parts in high end units are commercial silver (solid/plated). Over the years in owning a scrap yard I dismantled lots of units to recover the silver buttons/tabs/strips that were used for contacts in different units.
So that being said you might have another keeper from the day's hunt without knowing it.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting finds

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, nice hunt for sure....U know those pencil erasers are really close to a nickel hit for me. Congrats on a good day out...:thumbsup:

Yes, quite close to Nickels on most of my machines. I actually enjoy the old pencil eraser tips. Back from the "ancient" times before cell phones and texting!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody had good shooting skills hitting the IHP but that poor Zincoln is one hurting coin.
The GE 5N piece has some #/letters going down the side of the shank, that might narrow down the ID. I'm thinking it's out of a disconnect fuse panel and lots of the parts in high end units are commercial silver (solid/plated). Over the years in owning a scrap yard I dismantled lots of units to recover the silver buttons/tabs/strips that were used for contacts in different units.
So that being said you might have another keeper from the day's hunt without knowing it.

I was a bit torn that the old IH had been "assassinated" being a semi key date year of 1885. However the .22 caliber bullet wound certainly adds HUGE character and who done it to the coin. I think the GE part is plated in either Nickel or Silver as you can see brass showing through. It says Made in the USA with the number 5 stamped along the side. I may never figure it out but, that's fine.:hello:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THAT PENNY MAKES A INTERESTING HARMONICA REED OR BOW TIE CLIP

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a cool Indian Head. It looks like it went through a time warp. Forget the spinners...You can make your own fidget by spinning this thing on an old nail!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the IHP with the .22 dent, but the Zinky strip is magnificent, and deserving of a place in a museum!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
some call that character, an IH with pronounced character. you managed to find some very interesting stuff on this one. interesting stuff can be pretty cool too, especially the things that make you wonder.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the IHP with the .22 dent, but the Zinky strip is magnificent, and deserving of a place in a museum!!

I'll get it packaged for shipment to the folks at the Smithsonian. I am sure they'll appreciate my generous donation.::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread