OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Is right! Why would he think they are fake?

He said his dad on the pawnshop and when he died they found it in his house with a note saying that this was fake. Or Plated. And he went with that and I'm not one to argue

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
there is one company that had a pattern they called sterling and they stamped it on the flatware, it was stainless. but it's pretty easy to tell apart because the company name is directly in front on sterling. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company though

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sterling on some of the other ones look like it's right from the factory this one's kind of sloppy but the rest are in the trunk.

image-131732631.jpg

image-2401145175.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What does it do when you put a magnet to it?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The I S should have been a dead give away. It's the mark for International Silver. The only Rogers Bro. that is sterling would probably have been made before they were acquired by IS.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The I S should have been a dead give away. It's the mark for International Silver. The only Rogers Bro. that is sterling would probably have been made before they were acquired by IS.

I know I saw Sterling and tunnel vision kicks in! So they're not magnetic but I filed one down and it does not test for silver.

image-56192003.jpg

The first test is with out finally and in the second one was with filing.

lesche Is More

Mar 14, 2014
North Dartmouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(IS) is also inlaid silver. (Silverplate) someone added the Sterling It's probably at least quad plate..so considering the amount of silver on each I wouldn't call it a loss

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(IS) is also inlaid silver. (Silverplate) someone added the Sterling It's probably at least quad plate..so considering the amount of silver on each I wouldn't call it a loss

You are mistaken. It is International Silver Co. marking. They do also own (or did) Holmes Edward which did inlaid silver, so that might be the confusion.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH is correct, It is International Silver Co.

I am wondering if someone stamped the word sterling into to fool the pawn shop.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a find!!

Last summer, I found 10 spoons in a tub of plated silverware marked .25-cents each. They have the word Sterling on the back, but I found that there is a company that is called "Sterling Silverware". It was all plate. What a roller coaster ride, but it keeps you going...

Last edited:

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I posted this last year or the year before, but I found this in a foreclosure cleanout, it was in the closet, I had done the interior vacant inspection in this house monthly for over a year, never saw this, had a pile of stuffed animals on it, when I opened the box the smell of silver hit me, I knew I had scored. Sterling ,108 pieces and beautiful. Marshall Field and Co.

Attachments

• DSC01091.JPG
    DSC01091.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC01090.JPG
    DSC01090.JPG
    511.1 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00514.JPG
    DSC00514.JPG
    540.5 KB · Views: 88

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I saw Sterling and tunnel vision kicks in! So they're not magnetic but I filed one down and it does not test for silver.

View attachment 988666

The first test is with out finally and in the second one was with filing.

That is not an accurate way to acid test silver. You need to file deep into the piece and drop some of the acid into the cut. Then wait and look for bubbles of green or brown.

The sure fire way to check is to blot the cut with a tissue. The color will absorb onto the tissue. You should be able to tell if it turns the milky red color meaning sterling.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not an accurate way to acid test silver. You need to file deep into the piece and drop some of the acid into the cut. Then wait and look for bubbles of green or brown.

The sure fire way to check is to blot the cut with a tissue. The color will absorb onto the tissue. You should be able to tell if it turns the milky red color meaning sterling.

Ya, I did file it afterwards. It's was brass under it. I thought about that afterwards. Thanks!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy a steel stamp that says STERLING or 925 at any jewelry makers website.

That could have been a good score. Pawn shops don't know everything. one or two years ago I posted that I bought 300 lbs of junk jewelry at a yard sale. It had all been brought into a pawn shop and the workers said it was junk so they threw it in boxes. Well I am still not going to say how many ounces of gold and silver I pulled out of that tangled mess but ARA and NTR has melted it already.

That $300 purchase has paid for a lot of my daughters college expenses. In two months it will be 5 years down and 1 to go.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, I did file it afterwards. It's was brass under it. I thought about that afterwards. Thanks!

Look at it this way, if the set doesn't sell for more at your next garage sale, it's worth $1.90 a pound for brass! Spoons are what the local "We buy Gold" jeweler buys in Sterling and seem to be the most popular items to keep and use when plated. Some make rings and pendants of the patterns with fancy ends while others will make wind chimes and use the knife handle as the center "clanger"...

I've sold several large tubs of brass items that won't sell at North Central Texas garage sales. The money buys some silver ASE coins, ammo, and the last time I found a Winchester semiautomatic .22 rifle.... Brass and copper always have some worth.

Keep going. IT's out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread