Wow!! First Indian Penny

Trozell

Greenie
Feb 9, 2009
CT
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,DFX,Garrett pointer
This is a day I've been waiting for. Only I never thought it would come from where it did.
My wife and I went to a neighboring town to hit an old park. We thought it might have some older coins. As it turns out there was not much of note. only 83 cents in clad.

On the way home she wanted to try the school yard where we had found only newer coins the kids had lost. I had been over it a number of times. Karen gardens a lot, so when we detect, I detect and she digs it out.

We had a few coins and then a small silver ring. The ring was enough to make it a good day for me.
I was working my way to the car and home. Then there was a target and I told her give this a try and then lets go. She dug and it looked like a penny to me. But she was giving it the fish eye and said it looked like something good, but didn't know what. I said "does it have an Indian head"? She said yes and the date is 1893. I about fell over. It was literally 1 inch deep in a place where kids run and play every school day.

This finally puts me in the 1800s and is the oldest coin in my short career, so I just have to show it off. Thanks for looking John B

Attachments

• Indian_Head.jpg
    Indian_Head.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 646
  • Indian-Reverse.jpg
    Indian-Reverse.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0

BurnsideSlim

Jan 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ex II
Congrats Trozell, nice find. Keep going back for more. Perhaps the dirt around the school may have been turned and older items may be findable.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your first of MANY! I can still remember my first and exactly where I dug it! I have dug 151 indians since then!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
o yeah the first injun
mine was an 1883 in a huge yard
Congrats
Many more to come

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
congrats, very nice! I will never forget my first IH penny, and I'm sure you won't forget yours. Good luck on many more

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
hey congrats on your first IH! ;D

its funny how you remember the first...i can still remember my first IH....it was also pretty shallow...i just remember thinking i was probably digging junk, then this 100 year old coin pops out...i remember i just flipped a little plug and right away saw the wreath....wierd.

Karen gardens a lot, so when we detect, I detect and she digs it out.
;D

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
congrats on your first of MANY! I can still remember my first and exactly where I dug it! I have dug 151 indians since then!
same here :icon_thumleft: nice 1st MR TUFF

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A really big congrats on the first IH!! Mine is yet to come, however, this past week did bring me three firsts, 2 wheaties, 2 silver dimes and a man's silver ring with blue stone (sapphire?/glass?).
Now I need an 1800's coin and a gold anything. Just can't beat those "firsts." Even as old as I am, I still remember my first.......ummm.........err..........nevermind.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, the finds only get better and better too! Nice Injun :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Nice work Trozell, that first IH is something you will always remember and enjoy, nice work on the silver ring to! sounds you have a heck of a good digging partner! luck to you both and HH!

Chuck.

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations, that is why we do what we do. I remember my first IH and I was doing the happy dance.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
"I detect and she digs it out" Got to love it. My wife and I have the same deal. Like to think I have the better deal.. but she gets to see what we find first, so maybe not. 20 years ago she put a nice scratch in a early Barber Quarter. I remind her about it whenever I can. ;) Didn't really matter too much because I harshly cleaned everything back then anyways.

Good luck in CT. We are just getting back into MDing since careers and kids. Should have started back up earlier because now only my youngest has any interest. Lots of nice machines available now, wow! Good luck in CT. Oh and congrats on the IH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread