WOW Trust me !!!!

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
One minute happy to be digging Victorian coppers, then bang !!!. This I think is special, very special. Not sure of the age, but guessing ancient. There's six faces on the find, it appears to be wearing an helmet. It is solid cast, in bronze, and heavy. Time for a well earned pint of mead, one thinks.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6329.JPG
    IMG_6329.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 312
  • IMG_6333.JPG
    IMG_6333.JPG
    675.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_6334.JPG
    IMG_6334.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 37
OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Here's some more pictures. I had to oil it, the surface was rapidly drying out, and becoming powdery. The soil in the field where I found it is very bad for bronze/copper. Most of the Victorian coins I've been digging are in a very poor state. The greenness of the patina should though begin to re appear in a few weeks. The length is just under 7cm. Every one of the six faces is slightly different.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6335.JPG
    IMG_6335.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6337.JPG
    IMG_6337.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6336.JPG
    IMG_6336.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really love it, but the casting looks more modern to me. I would say its brass (maybe bronze) but Victorian. (I hope I'm wrong, because if its Romano-Celtic its got a good value to it)

No idea what the finial went on?

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that has cool factor written all over this find Robert, there's not a lot information on this figure on the net and it'll be interesting to hear back from the museum on this find.:occasion14:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
could be a multi faced "god" type --staff topper for a priest of some cult type religion ...from the old days---

india has a six faced god-- Murugen * the god of war ..and has made lots of brass items for many ,many years --the six face are to represent the "5 senses" and the mind working as"one"...

the look of the face on this one looks "roman / greek" style to me however it could be Viking ..

Last edited:

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. I could only dream of a find like that. Job well done.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I really love it, but the casting looks more modern to me. I would say its brass (maybe bronze) but Victorian. (I hope I'm wrong, because if its Romano-Celtic its got a good value to it)

No idea what the finial went on?
Think it's meant to represent a Celtic deity, but when was it made ?.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
could be a multi faced "god" type --staff topper for a priest of some cult type religion ...from the old days---

india has a six faced god-- Murugen * the god of war ..and has made lots of brass items for many ,many years --the six face are to represent the "5 senses" and the mind working as"one"...

the look of the face on this one looks "roman / greek" style to me however it could be Viking ..
Hello Ivan, I've sent some pictures to someone who may know this morning. Will send some to the BM next week.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Now that has cool factor written all over this find Robert, there's not a lot information on this figure on the net and it'll be interesting to hear back from the museum on this find.:occasion14:
Hello pepper, have you found anything interesting on the net ?.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find there Rob , love finding brass stuff out here even if it isn't all that old, the olive green colored stuff makes my day every-time :occasion14:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that is just super cool! :occasion14:

Steve

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think it's meant to represent a Celtic deity, but when was it made ?.

I'm sure its meant to represent the deity you researched or similar. I'm guessing Victorian but Georgian isn't out the question.

However, if it were ancient you would have a very historic piece because it would fit on a staff of a high priest in a temple site!

Last edited:
OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I'm sure its meant to represent the deity you researched or similar. I'm guessing Victorian but Georgian isn't out the question.

However, if it were ancient you would have a very historic piece because it would fit on a staff of a high priest in a temple site!
Lets think positive :laughing7:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hope that it's ancient. Fingers crossed! It's a beautiful piece now, but when staff topper is confirmed you have really a killer piece difficult to top!
Either way Westfront, it's a beautiful item.Certainly made me smile, when it surfaced.:thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the sad part is if its indeed a historical old priest type piece of a celtic nature ... the govt most likely will want it for a measum but you might get a bit of cash out the deal..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the sad part is if its indeed a historical old priest type piece of a celtic nature ... the govt most likely will want it for a measum but you might get a bit of cash out the deal..

I'm thinking the item is not having 10% PM content the PAS laws wouldn't apply, the British Museum might have interest in the item if it turns out to be of historical/one of item but I'm not sure on the requirements of selling it to them, if any.

Rob I spent a bit of time looking for any references but came up with a zilch.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj is correct, there is nothing in the Treasure Act that states he needs to declare this. Assuming he had permission to detect, which he already stated, then its up to him & the landowner.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any idea what this is yet ?

Excellent looking Piece But What is It ? :tongue3:

not being an expert, I'd guess Hercules finial but for what ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread