Wrapped up a site recently - here are the better finds.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've made 4 trips to this site and put in about 12 hours of hunting. It was a c1800 home site that was unfortunately occupied up until about 20-25 years ago when it was torn down. That meant lots of new junk everywhere so most of the finds were made in the field away from the footprint of the house. There could be a few scattered finds left but its not worth the effort since I have other new places to check out. Best finds were a CS block I button, a 1/2 reale, and a 3 cent nickel. Still need to put together a small display case for the elderly owner as I promised and drop it off before Christmas. Hope everyone has time to get out and do a little digging over the holidays. Good luck to all!

Attachments

• godwin site finds.JPG
    godwin site finds.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 372
  • godwin site finds2.JPG
    godwin site finds2.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 410
Upvote 14

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digginbingo

Jan 8, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get the display box together, take a pic and post it if its not to much trouble. I would like to see the finished product........

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds! is that thing with the roman numerals part of a sundial you think?

Also, what is the object 2nd down from the top left in the 2nd pic (right under the button), the thing with the notches/cogs in it? I've found a bunch of those and never know what they are.

HH!!

Some folks seem to think that one item is a piece from a sundial, but I'm thinking its from an old clock face. Guess we'll never know for sure. The other item you asked about is the center piece of an umbrella or parasol, and these are commonly found at CW era sites.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya done good Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............HH

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill , Don't mean to be a pest - but any hallmarks on the spoon ? it is such a beautiful find ! Argentium.

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, your finds really run the spectrum from great to even better. Your hard work certainly paid off.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bill , Don't mean to be a pest - but any hallmarks on the spoon ? it is such a beautiful find ! Argentium.

My apologies for not getting back to you before Argentium. I had intended to, but it slipped my mind. Here's a pic of the back of the spoon. The silversmith is J.G. Davison. I found several with that last name from the late 1700s to early 1800s, but none with the same initials. The spoon also has hallmarks, but they're difficult to read. Maybe if you're familiar with that kind of thing you can figure it out. If so, please pass on any info to me. Thanks for your interest ...... Bill

spoon back.JPG

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Bill, you sure have a knack for sniffing out the silver. That's great you're making the homeowner a display..i'm sure he'll love it.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This could be a broken part of a finial on a rifle's cap or patch box. A.JPG Here's a cap box and patch box, check out the finials. patch box.jpg patch box1.jpg There were all sorts of cap and patch boxes, so it's something to think about.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Bill ! for the info - and the pic - certainly the shape /style of the spoon conforms to the 1790- 1820 period ,
from what I have experienced as a casual collector and a silversmith . It is most certainly American - European hallmarks,
being much more extensive , monarch , city , metal quality, makers ,and date marks, are the norm for many European
countries of this period . This being said - if there is any way you can macro /close up that hallmark (other than the name)
There is a chance some one can ID it ! Also a silversmith in your area may be able to do some finesse work on the piece,
so that you might actually use the spoon for cereal , yogurt or whatever -( I love using old well worn silver daily !)
Argentium.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Bill ! for the info - and the pic - certainly the shape /style of the spoon conforms to the 1790- 1820 period ,
from what I have experienced as a casual collector and a silversmith . It is most certainly American - European hallmarks,
being much more extensive , monarch , city , metal quality, makers ,and date marks, are the norm for many European
countries of this period . This being said - if there is any way you can macro /close up that hallmark (other than the name)
There is a chance some one can ID it ! Also a silversmith in your area may be able to do some finesse work on the piece,
so that you might actually use the spoon for cereal , yogurt or whatever -( I love using old well worn silver daily !)
Argentium.

Here's one last pic with a close-up of the hallmarks. It's the best shot I can get. I think the lion in the center represents sterling silver. One of the other marks might indicate a date of manufacture. If you can come up with anything else from this please pass on. Thanks for your help.

spoon hallmark.JPG

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Bill , If indeed that is a lion (and it looks like it ) That would seem to put it across the pond - England has used that very
devise as the symbol for sterling silver for centuries - what makes this a mystery is that , normally with English silver of that
period ,you would have a series of incuse shield shaped stamp marks - showing the city mark , date letter , monarch profile ,
metal quality (sterling - the lion ) and the makers mark - I think you may have the profile mark there , and something else .
Thank you for putting up the pic's - A silver spoon of this vintage is a rare and choice find ! Argentium.
Let me say that I think it is clear that I was wrong in saying (with such certainty ) that this spoon was American,
Now that I too see that lion ,and the other marks - I have to say it is more likely English .

Last edited:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i'd be pounding that place again! nice stuff !

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad for 12 hrs. of hunting Bill, WTG! Very well done, considering what you have to go through to get to the bounty!! Looking forward to seeing what you recover in 2013!!!

IM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread