Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey friends.

A friend from work was telling me about some knives he had at his house that his father had given him. He claimed they were WW2 Bayonet knoves. So I told him to bring them in and I would post them on here. He was wandering what they might be worth and any kind of information he can get from them. He knows nothing else about them. I took some pictures

The one with the plain wooden handle has no markings whatsoever.

The other one with the mroe complex design handle has a few markings I will note...

On the end of the knife as pictured has a picture of What looks like the sun maybe?
Also near the top of that image has what looks like an S. And under the image looks to be stamped Z 1 1. On the flat handle piece that connects the blade says US. M4 PAL The Holder says USM8 B M Co. So I assumed the holder doesnt match the bayonet knife. Any ideas of the value or any info would be appreciated!! thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 205.jpg
    Picture 205.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 9,718
  • Picture 199.jpg
    Picture 199.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,569
  • Picture 200.jpg
    Picture 200.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,502
  • Picture 201.jpg
    Picture 201.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4,142
  • Picture 202.jpg
    Picture 202.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,528
  • Picture 203.jpg
    Picture 203.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,400
  • Picture 204.jpg
    Picture 204.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Picture 205.jpg
    Picture 205.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,421
  • Picture 205.jpg
    Picture 205.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,336
  • Picture 206.jpg
    Picture 206.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,341
  • Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,441
Upvote 0

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
The U.S. M-4 bayonet:

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/United_States__WW_II_/us_ww_2.html#m4

Bayonet-knife for use on the caliber .30 U.S. Carbine M-1. The bayonet-knife M4 was also used on the selective-fire M-2 Carbines which were developed post-war.
Initially, the M-1 Carbine did not accept a bayonet. Beginning in June 1944, the front band included a bayonet lug. Most earlier carbines were subsequently retrofitted with the bayonet-lug front band.

This example was made by the Imperial Knife Co., Providence, Rhode Island. The leather-grip identifies this as being from the first production run of 1944-1945.

This example is as-issued and in exceptional condition, with the starburst staking on the pommel, smooth parkerizing on the blade, and factory sharpening done after the blade was parkerized.

According to noted U.S. bayonet authority Gary Cunningham, the pommel was made by subcontractor, Standard Products Co. of Port Clinton, Ohio. The number identifies the heat-treatment lot. Standard Products Co. also produced M-1 Carbines during WWII.

The scabbard is an early production M8A1, without the metal tip. It was made by the Beckwith Manufacturing Co., Dover, NH, as a M8 scabbard for the M-3 fighting knife. It was subsequently converted to an M8A1 by addition of the wire belt hanger.

The scabbard (holder) does match the bayonet.

The second bayonet, is the M1884/98 Third Pattern

It goes to to the German K-98 Mauser rifle. There were several variations that were used in a few other Nazi-occupied countries, but the one you have listed became the standard issue.

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Id...rmany__Post_WW_I_/Germany_1933_1945.html#1935

Value of both types: roughly around $70 or so for each. They are extremely common.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Like the Capn said they are common, however.. the M1 carbine bayonet is fairly hard to find these days with the leather grips since that feature is a WWII issue version and alot of them ended up in toolboxes, beat to death by kids, etc over the last 60 years. They continued making carbine bayonets for several years after the war but the Korean War & Vietnam vintage versions had plastic grips and are much more common. Since yours is in pretty nice condition and has the correct scabbard I'd put the value closer to $100+

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
NHBandit said:
Like the Capn said they are common, however.. the M1 carbine bayonet is fairly hard to find these days with the leather grips since that feature is a WWII issue version and alot of them ended up in toolboxes, beat to death by kids, etc over the last 60 years. They continued making carbine bayonets for several years after the war but the Korean War & Vietnam vintage versions had plastic grips and are much more common. Since yours is in pretty nice condition and has the correct scabbard I'd put the value closer to $100+

:icon_thumright: :headbang:

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
Last week I went to the Gun and Knife show in Greensboro, N.C. A friend of mine was looking for a bayonette for his M1 Carbine. We found a guy that had some just like your leather handled one and he was asking $175-wouldn't bend on the price.

trixie charger

Aug 31, 2010
N.C.
I was there too, going to Charlotte this weekend. Supposed to be Three times Gboro size. Got better deals off of people going in and coming out, than the vendors. Bought a Enfield Sniper form a guy that had just bought it inside, he bought it for $375, his wife got pissed took it back to the vendor and he said he would give him $100 back for it!, he walked out found us and I gave him $200 for it. I took it back in to the vendor and asked him if he sold it, he said yeah for $375 and offered me $300 to buy it back, I took it and he told me a guy came back by and offered him $450 for it! :laughing9: But I made a quick $100 bucks, so I was happy.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
NHBandit said:

Yes, NHBandit is right... you can get $100+ for them, but considering the economy and going by what I seen these same bayonets are going for on Ebay, $70 is ideal for a quick sale.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
kenley said:
The carbine bayonet is very hard to find..One with the original scabberd almost imposible.

I know of 5 of them that are sitting in a surplus store right now, scabbards and all. Common.

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Cap'n Crunch said:
kenley said:
The carbine bayonet is very hard to find..One with the original scabberd almost imposible.

I know of 5 of them that are sitting in a surplus store right now, scabbards and all. Common.

I know of two surplus stores that have more than a few laying around - that look like this - but are not. Maybe you should RESEARCH a little more into the commonality of the Carbine Bayonet with the original scabbard.

UNCOMMON. ;D

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
kenley said:

I know of two surplus stores that have more than a few laying around - that look like this - but are not. Maybe you should RESEARCH a little more into the commonality of the Carbine Bayonet with the original scabbard.

UNCOMMON. ;D

Former US Army, I know my bayonets. 'nuff said
Profile says your 36 - you fought in WWII? I collect military knives - avidly. This is one of the first I've seen in the last 5 years with the original scabbard. The Marine Corp. "K-Bar" handle looks identical to this but is not a bayonet. There are a few others with similar handles - not bayonets. The "new" style looks very similar but as stated above, the handle is not leather... 8)

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
kenley said:

UNCOMMON. ;D

Profile says your 36 - you fought in WWII? I collect military knives - avidly. This is one of the first I've seen in the last 5 years with the original scabbard. The Marine Corp. "K-Bar" handle looks identical to this but is not a bayonet. There are a few others with similar handles - not bayonets. The "new" style looks very similar but as stated above, the handle is not leather... 8)

Yes, I collect too, they might be rare as a whole, but maybe I am not seeing it from a broader perspective, because I come across these EXACT bayonets all the time in my area. Don't drag my age into this issue, it has no bearing on what I know. I not only collect, but I have studied military weapons history for a very long time. I know that you know a great deal too, did YOU fight in WW2? You dont have to storm the beaches of Normandy to know the difference between bayonets. I also am smart enough to know the difference between LEATHER and SYNTHETIC handles. Thanks

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
kenley said:

UNCOMMON. ;D

Yes, I collect too, they might be rare as a whole, but maybe I am not seeing it from a broader perspective, because I come across these EXACT bayonets all the time in my area. Don't drag my age into this issue, it has no bearing on what I know. I not only collect, but I have studied military weapons history for a very long time. I know that you know a great deal too, did YOU fight in WW2? You dont have to storm the beaches of Normandy to know the difference between bayonets. I also am smart enough to know the difference between LEATHER and SYNTHETIC handles. Thanks

It's cool Cap'n...

While I did not fight in WWII, many relatives did, aside from studying American Military History for some time. I wish I came across more identical (production years) to the one above. Might have to check out the surplus shop out your way. As far as the difference in handle materials - I never stated you did not know the difference, just pointing out the fact that there are some that look nearly identical to the old school leather. My K-Bar's handle is almost as black as some of the synthetics... :D

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
kenley said:

UNCOMMON. ;D

It's cool Cap'n...

While I did not fight in WWII, many relatives did, aside from studying American Military History for some time. I wish I came across more identical (production years) to the one above. Might have to check out the surplus shop out your way. As far as the difference in handle materials - I never stated you did not know the difference, just pointing out the fact that there are some that look nearly identical to the old school leather. My K-Bar's handle is almost as black as some of the synthetics... :D

Yes I agree, they are very similar in appearance and I did not mean to get pissy at all with you. Just making my stance on a issue and perhapos I did it a little too strongly. You're a friend, and I have no beef with you. Lets just both agree that they are commonly rare! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions