Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey friends.

A friend from work was telling me about some knives he had at his house that his father had given him. He claimed they were WW2 Bayonet knoves. So I told him to bring them in and I would post them on here. He was wandering what they might be worth and any kind of information he can get from them. He knows nothing else about them. I took some pictures

The one with the plain wooden handle has no markings whatsoever.

The other one with the mroe complex design handle has a few markings I will note...

On the end of the knife as pictured has a picture of What looks like the sun maybe?
Also near the top of that image has what looks like an S. And under the image looks to be stamped Z 1 1. On the flat handle piece that connects the blade says US. M4 PAL The Holder says USM8 B M Co. So I assumed the holder doesnt match the bayonet knife. Any ideas of the value or any info would be appreciated!! thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 205.jpg
    Picture 205.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 9,718
  • Picture 199.jpg
    Picture 199.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,569
  • Picture 200.jpg
    Picture 200.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,502
  • Picture 201.jpg
    Picture 201.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4,142
  • Picture 202.jpg
    Picture 202.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,528
  • Picture 203.jpg
    Picture 203.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,400
  • Picture 204.jpg
    Picture 204.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Picture 205.jpg
    Picture 205.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,421
  • Picture 205.jpg
    Picture 205.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,336
  • Picture 206.jpg
    Picture 206.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,341
  • Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,441
Upvote 0

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
DD-777 said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
kenley said:
The carbine bayonet is very hard to find..One with the original scabberd almost imposible.

I know of 5 of them that are sitting in a surplus store right now, scabbards and all. Common.

I know of two surplus stores that have more than a few laying around - that look like this - but are not. Maybe you should RESEARCH a little more into the commonality of the Carbine Bayonet with the original scabbard.

UNCOMMON. ;D

Former US Army, I know my bayonets. 'nuff said
Profile says your 36 - you fought in WWII? I collect military knives - avidly. This is one of the first I've seen in the last 5 years with the original scabbard. The Marine Corp. "K-Bar" handle looks identical to this but is not a bayonet. There are a few others with similar handles - not bayonets. The "new" style looks very similar but as stated above, the handle is not leather... 8)

Yes, I collect too, they might be rare as a whole, but maybe I am not seeing it from a broader perspective, because I come across these EXACT bayonets all the time in my area. Don't drag my age into this issue, it has no bearing on what I know. I not only collect, but I have studied military weapons history for a very long time. I know that you know a great deal too, did YOU fight in WW2? You dont have to storm the beaches of Normandy to know the difference between bayonets. I also am smart enough to know the difference between LEATHER and SYNTHETIC handles. Thanks

It's cool Cap'n...

While I did not fight in WWII, many relatives did, aside from studying American Military History for some time. I wish I came across more identical (production years) to the one above. Might have to check out the surplus shop out your way. As far as the difference in handle materials - I never stated you did not know the difference, just pointing out the fact that there are some that look nearly identical to the old school leather. My K-Bar's handle is almost as black as some of the synthetics... :D

Yes I agree, they are very similar in appearance and I did not mean to get pissy at all with you. Just making my stance on a issue and perhapos I did it a little too strongly. You're a friend, and I have no beef with you. Lets just both agree that they are commonly rare! :D

Agreed... :occasion14:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Huh... I guess I should not be using the one on my digging belt ;-) I bought a lot of WWII items.. 1/2 dozen rifles, pistols etc.. and the rest were thrown in.. had 6 or 7 total... 3 for the carbine and the rest for the Garand.. plus a nice one with the 1950s knuckle "guards"... good little blades...

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread