WW2 gunnery range - Two visits in one weekend - June 2012

ww2digger

Aug 27, 2008
Hi all

Well, just come back from a lovely weekend over at my mother's holiday place in Norfolk. During our break there I got in two visits to the gunnery range permission I have been searching for the past few years, (whenever I am over that way !). I've put together a video of some of the finds being recovered which can be found here......

DAY 1

Up at 6am, on site for 4 hours. I spent the first 3 hours detecting around the small arms practice area then switched to an area where I have previously found some nice 50cal and 20mm cartridges, (this range was used by ground forces and the USAAF/RAF). Had a great haul on this first foray.......

day1500px.jpg

A great mix of finds. Mainly 303 but also 30cal, 45cal, 9mm, 380cal, 50cal and 20mm. Seven different cartridge types in all, all WW2 dated. Four of the 50s came out of a very tight area and almost certainly came from the same aircraft, being found in a very neat line. The 20mm was under a fallen tree trunk.......the detector just managed to pick it up.

Lots of rabbits too, but no close encounters

day1500px2.jpg

Day 2

Up at 5am, on site for 2 hours.

The evening before this visit I went for a walk with my good lady wife and she let me have a quick detect in an area I've never searched before, well away from all other locations, (but within my permission area), I'd had finds from. I was very dubious there was going to be anything there but within 15 minutes I had 5 303s and 5 45cals. So, after a bit of friendly persuasion towards the wife, I arranged to get to this site early the next morning before we left for home.

I was in an area no more than 50 feet square......and WHAT an area !!!!

day2500px-2.jpg

In amongst the 100+ 303s are some strange bits I'll post later after cleaning.

However, I am sure the eagle eye'd amongst you will have spotted one of my best finds ever from this site.

Not only did I get a great 3inch mortar fin, but also the back end of a PIAT ROUND !!!! A quick clean and it'll be GREAT !!!

day2500px-1.jpg

After cleaning the fins looked like this.....

piat1.jpg

fin1.jpg

Hope you like the finds.

Laters

Steve T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread