ww2 letters/photos: trashed.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
The same friend of mine who found the thousands of beer cans, also found this. This is an extensive collection of ww2 letters from G.I. 'S to one gal, some sent photo's/memento's etc. The date range is from early 1941 through 1946. There are well over 600 letters, hundreds of photo's (G.I., family etc)

The man she finally chose (and married) sent the vast majority of letters, often including newspaper clippings, photo's and sometimes his
own artwork. It appears that he ended up stationed in (occupied) Japan and sent home many post cards/photo's from there including short notes on the back including one describing how they drove a jeep down the steps of a shrine (see pic). We even found one "Dear Jane" letter!

He found this in a large plastic tote that was already loaded and destined for the dump, glad he saved this but, what to do with it.

UPDATE: Did a bit of googleing and found the obits, they did have two children. Need to start digging and hopefully find a contact.

Attachments

• IMG_4831.JPG
    IMG_4831.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4833.JPG
    IMG_4833.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4834.JPG
    IMG_4834.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4837.JPG
    IMG_4837.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_4838.JPG
    IMG_4838.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4841.JPG
    IMG_4841.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4842.JPG
    IMG_4842.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4843.JPG
    IMG_4843.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_4845.JPG
    IMG_4845.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_4849.JPG
    IMG_4849.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4850.JPG
    IMG_4850.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 248

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I was an MP and so was my dad.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad that they were thrown away, but lucky your friend saved them.
My uncle was in the 'Occupation of Japan', he saw combat on Okinawa & was wounded in the arm.

Fossis.............

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Good for you, blacksheep. That is a very honorable thing you are doing. Lots of luck with it. If you do not find any
connections to thw people, most any large museum would be glad to have them.
Again, the best of luck.
Ray

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool save :icon_thumleft: try your local VFW they mite be intrested in them to show.

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Update: A few weeks back, I made contact with a daughter who now lives in Texas. She was ecstatic to learn about this and did not realize it even existed. She noted that after her mothers death, a brother handled the estate including selling the family home (which her father built), she speculated that these boxes may have been far back in a storage "cubby" in an upstairs bedroom and missed by her brother. The subsequent owner defaulted on their mortgage and left behind many items and all this was part of what was found.

I was able to make contact through her church and received a phone call within 10 minutes of that initial contact, a very wonderful woman who, at the time, had only two pictures of her parents..now has well over 100 additional photo's of her parents and other family members and includes wedding photo's (and many others) that she had never seen before. Some of the photo's and trinkets she has heard stories about including the half stick of gum (she did not elaborate and I didn't ask).

Sent her everything in one huge box, and was unbelievably happy to have gotten these lost family treasures.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Blacksheep, what a long time and diligence it must have taken to do this. Bless you!

All of my fathers; medals, pics, uniform, etc, were given by my stepmother, to our local Vet's Museum. I was a little angry at first, the thought of my dads life being just "given away". But, I then realized, my dad did what he did for all, not just for me or a few. I am glad and happy to know, others can share in his life, and I know these items are well taken care of and revered, in that small town museum.
I'm sure that daughter is very grateful for what you have done, I am. Thank you!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's days worth of reading and dreaming for me. I love taking in people's personal history that's where the real building blocks if America is.

OP
OP
Blacksheep

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
It was interesting to read some of this, I was somewhat surprised at how "racy" some of those letters were (I warned the daughter about one particular, very graphic letter. She asked me to destroy it...I will hold onto it for a while longer in case she changes her mind). She also gave me permission to copy a few of the more interesting pictures her father took while stationed in Japan.

I didnt add any of the research I had done nor did I add anything notes/cards as I wanted her to "discover" everything without any more outside influence than necessary. She did say she will send a photo of her new picture wall once she finishes framing/hanging.

One thing is for certain, after reading some of those letters, I have a much better understanding of how the people of that era pulled together in a time of need and sadly, have my doubts it would ever happen at that level in the future. One other note on this, the elongated penny bracelet from the worlds fair...is a 1924 D, did a double take with the loupe just to be sure. ;)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've nominated your post for the "banner". These are the sort of treasure that have true meaning to us and their families. It is a connection between us and the past. Great job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions