WWI related West Front ring?

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cold called a farmhouse built in the 1860s this morning. Man are farmhouses full of trash!!! Not a single old coin. Out of frustration I was digging even slight indications of high tones. I'm still using the stock coil on my at pro but with this amount of junk I doubt the 5x8 would be that much of an improvement

Anywho.... I dug this up and wore it the rest of my hunt. When I got home and googled it there's the exact ring on some other forum. The guy was suggesting that it was somehow related to the Wehrmacht? West Front is written in English though. Anyone have any ideas? It's marked 800 in the inside so this is my second silver ring!

image-3623018826.jpg

image-1292013130.jpg

image-1754246545.jpg

Upvote 8

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the area I'm in is predominantly German and almost exclusively German in the 1800s. Could this be a US sympathizer ring from the WW1 time period ?

I think what I should do here is post it on a WWI forum. It might take an expert to know what it really is. And even then....

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, Westfront is also german language as you can see at my username. This is a WWI Ring made for those who fought in the muddy trenches in Belgium and France. Do a goggle search 'westfront ring' and come up with lots of results! iron-cross on a "west-front" ring 1ww markt 800 - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
Holy cow!!! It never occurred to me that "west front" is the same in German. So now it's odd that I found this ring in Ohio lol

A German soldier fought in the trenches and some of the more gruesome battle the world has seen---- Was made/awarded this ring--- it then somehow ended up on an old farm in Ohio

Pure speculation if the actual soldier lived in this house but like I said every farm that I've searched in the area was built by German immigrants. Maybe moved to this area of the city because of all the Germans

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow!!! It never occurred to me that "west front" is the same in German. So now it's odd that I found this ring in Ohio lol

A German soldier fought in the trenches and some of the more gruesome battle the world has seen---- Was made/awarded this ring--- it then somehow ended up on an old farm in Ohio

Pure speculation if the actual soldier lived in this house but like I said every farm that I've searched in the area was built by German immigrants. Maybe moved to this area of the city because of all the Germans

You will never know. Maybe the owner immigrated after WWI and settled in Ohio, maybe this ring made his way to the States after WWI / WWII as a souvenir.
You made an outstanding find in the States every detectorist in europe would be proud of! Keep at it. This ring represents a lot of bloody history....

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow!!! It never occurred to me that "west front" is the same in German. So now it's odd that I found this ring in Ohio lol A German soldier fought in the trenches and some of the more gruesome battle the world has seen---- Was made/awarded this ring--- it then somehow ended up on an old farm in Ohio Pure speculation if the actual soldier lived in this house but like I said every farm that I've searched in the area was built by German immigrants. Maybe moved to this area of the city because of all the Germans
could be brought home after taken from a dead German also.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Germany are you from westfront? I spent a couple years over there in fuerth outside of neurenburg with 3 rd infantry div

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of Germany are you from westfront? I spent a couple years over there in fuerth outside of neurenburg with 3 rd infantry div

Close to the Belgium/Dutch border, i have the trenches and bunkers of the Siegfried line just a stone throw away.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close to the Belgium/Dutch border, i have the trenches and bunkers of the Siegfried line just a stone throw away.
wow that would be awesome Re you slows to detect that site?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have official permission for detecting in my area. Need landowner permission nontheless.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have official permission for detecting in my area. Need landowner permission nontheless.
that would be some great hunting I'm going to have to look at some of your post to see what you have found.

Gemini Alpha

Nov 19, 2012
Europe
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! This Ring is from WW1. They sold them in large numbers and with various designs to soldiers and Veterans. In germany, we call it Patriotika. I found 5 of them already and everyone looks diffrent. Yours has a very nice Design!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread