WWII sterling wings- should I try to straighten?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL

Attachments

• IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1978.PNG
    IMG_1978.PNG
    404.9 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 11
If I was to straighten them, I would ask a jewelers advice. Better safe than putting them between something and maybe breaking them. They might be able to heat them a little and make therm perfect for little cost.

Google straightening silver and see if you get any methods you might want to try.

Nice find

I've had some luck straightening out flattened silver rings. My rule is to bend it once and in one direction. If you go back and forth, you'll create a stress fracture and it could snap off. Try to bend it a little. If it gives easily, keep bending it until it's straight.

Nice stuff, love the wings. Take it to a jeweller, I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to straighten.

I have a set of smaller wings. Those wings of yours are too COOL to mess up. Pay the jeweler to do it right. Very nice find.:headbang:

Silver is very malleable , but i would take it to a silversmith/ jeweler ,should be an easy and inexpensive fix. Nice find !

I'm with the rest. Take it to a jeweler or display it as is. You may risk breaking the wing if you try it yourself.

I agree, take it to a jeweler. Dint take it to the big guys, find a small kiosk guy or a watch repair shop hole in the wall. Anyone of them can fix it and the smaller guys will be much more reasonable.

I agree with Scuba, do not take any chances, that is a sweet find.. congrats!

Congratualtions on the old coin and jewelry finds! :occasion14:

IMHO, I would let a professional unbend the piece.

I just broke a silver ring by trying to straighten it, now it was pretty thin where it broke. very very cool

Great find and good advice given.

strick

Thanks everyone! I will take it to a jeweler sometime this week and see what can be done. Don't want to risk damaging it - may never find another one.

Got it straightened yesterday. Was worried about it breaking but the guy did a great job!

Attachments

• IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    995.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    983.2 KB · Views: 58
Glad you got it fixed right. Those wings are cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back