Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xcal II is DEAD. Let me see.... replaced the coil, headphones, knobs, and battery cable. Today i was having a pretty good day. Hit one beach for about 3 hours and was going to move on to another. Rinsed off my machine and it was running fine. Got to the next beach and it came on but was chattery.... realized it was in PP... so i put it in disc and turned it off. Walked to the waters edge and tried to turn it back on... NADA. So headed home.

First thought was battery. Checked it nope, so i put on anther fully charged battery just in case. Still nothing. Next thought i had just put on a pair of GGA headphones (second time using them) and maybe that was the issue. Took them off and put a pair of yellows back on..... still nothing. I can hear the normal click just before the threshold comes on..... but no threshold.

Ive really had problems with this machine.... HOWEVER when shes running she kicks butt. Thats why i keep fixing her. Sounds like a trip to ML unless you guys have a suggestion?

Dew

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give Dave Spencer a call at Kelly Co.

Dave is out of country, want return till middle of Sept......kellyco's repair lab is still open though....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH....i talked to Daves brother Barry and we went over a few things to see if it might be a switch. So im just going to box it up and send it over to him. I guess it just couldnt handle all those targets out there today Les. Les.... they sure did tell me i used it to much :censored:. But i really like the Xcal even with all my problems. At least this time i have a back up detector Les.

Dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barry is a good man...!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xcal II is DEAD. Let me see.... replaced the coil, headphones, knobs, and battery cable. Today i was having a pretty good day. Hit one beach for about 3 hours and was going to move on to another. Rinsed off my machine and it was running fine. Got to the next beach and it came on but was chattery.... realized it was in PP... so i put it in disc and turned it off. Walked to the waters edge and tried to turn it back on... NADA. So headed home.

First thought was battery. Checked it nope, so i put on anther fully charged battery just in case. Still nothing. Next thought i had just put on a pair of GGA headphones (second time using them) and maybe that was the issue. Took them off and put a pair of yellows back on..... still nothing. I can hear the normal click just before the threshold comes on..... but no threshold.

Ive really had problems with this machine.... HOWEVER when shes running she kicks butt. Thats why i keep fixing her. Sounds like a trip to ML unless you guys have a suggestion?

Dew

Have you tried jiggeling ( lightly pulling and pushing on the end of the cables) where they are connect.
I have had my DOA Excalibur, come back to life after doing that. You might have a high resistance in one of your connections or some of the strands of the wire in the cable may of been pulled free.

I have been hunting this way for the last few weeks, hoping to induce a hard failure - which is easier to repair than an intermittent
before sending it back for repair. As, I live in Hawaii the shipping costs to repair and item that is intermittent and cannot be determined would be excessive.

SGC sends

Last edited:
OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SGC, yep im a pretty good trouble shooter.... but this ones inside, likely a pot. Barry was surprised it just stopped like that thou. Its boxed and on the UPS truck.... no sense in wasting time. I was doing fairly well today. Seemed everything wanted to be SS except the 14K 2.3 gram earring and a little gold and diamond on that cross.

Dew

001.JPG

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear the circuits on some Excals can get overheated when the user is routinely hitting on far too much gold. :dontknow:

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That im certain isnt the problem BS...... Les's machine would be down all the time lol

Dew

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear the circuits on some Excals can get overheated when the user is routinely hitting on far too much gold. :dontknow:

No Worry:
Just submerge the control Pod in the water when you detect too much gold
That's why the Excals water proof,
Might be more of a problem in the desert where there is little water.
You could carry an extra canteen or a larger capacity camel back.
Why not send a PM to Hamid, He should know which works best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread