XLT and coins??

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Can someone please tell me the best way to find deeper coins with my XLT? I love the machine but all I can find is clad. I finally received permission to hunt an old fairgrounds <this is their 100 aniversary year>. I know the old coins are there, but all I find is newer coins and pull tabs. Do I need a super shooter coil? Will I loose my depth then? Can I turn the ac or dc or preamp up without loosing the shallow coins? Almost all that I find is in the 1.5 to 4.5 inch range, If I get a good deep signal, it turns out to be a large iron target. I know it takes a long time to master this machine, but any shortcuts would help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. HH, dave. :)

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help on the set up of the XLT for depth on coins yet detectordave but,

I believe if you'd have came across any silver/older coins thus far, you'd have found them. I'm not saying that maybe you've not skipped a few that may have been deeper but, there are a LOT of old & silver coins in 2 to 4 inches or so of sand/dirt to be found.

It's more the place/s you hunt rather than a depth issue,

In a Fair Grounds, you'll need the max depth you can get out of your machine, with preferable an elliptical coil to find older coins because, I guarantee for the most part, that if you live anywhere near a larger city, 100s of other guys have already hunted it to death over the years, and the "easy picken days of shallow silver/old coins in fair grounds are gone", leaving what is left at deeper depths, and it's few and far in between finding anything old at fair grounds anymore. Also, the elliptical coil will separate trash/coins better. If the ground seems fairly trash free, use a larger coil for better depth.

I don't even bother with fair grounds myself anymore though (been 10yrs or more now) that I gave up on them, just the same as the old "Drive in Theaters" - those have all been pounded to death by 100s of guys too, and or developed and paved over with concrete.

some guys may disagree and or still hunt them, and that's ok but,

check the difference in a LOT of the finds I make compared to a lot of the finds the 'disagreeing crowd makes',

Go to the Todays Finds forum here and find the topic "OLD FARM REVISITED!" and you'll see what I mean. I hunt places were your chances of finding older/silver coins is a LOT better.

Hope this helps for now,

HH

Lonewolfe

N

nutso

I'd say once the clad is removed that is at shallow depths (up to 4") then you'll be able to go deeper for the older stuff. Again it depends on the situation but thats my experience with the XLT. There probly there, just masked by everything else above them.
If the area has some history behind it then you will eventually find the older ones.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Dave stick with the factory coil or one a little smaller as fair grounds are usually a little trashy. Raise your pre amp gain as high as possible with out getting OVERLOAD on coin size objects. Large metal will give you OVERLOAD almost always on the XLT. Next you will want to raise your AC sensitivity as high as possible with out getting any false signals or interference. If silver is what you are after you can reject from -95 - +69 and accept +70 - +95 you will get a lot less trash and more coins. You will miss any rings or gold with those accept and reject settings though. Give this a try and Good luck.

OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
I sure do appreciate all the advice. I think I will try a smaller coil. And also playing with the pre amp. The caretaker tells me that they have never had anyone ask to hunt there before. I know that could mean almost nothing, but im still hopeful. lol. Take care all and thanks again. HH, dave.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detectordave said:
I sure do appreciate all the advice. I think I will try a smaller coil. And also playing with the pre amp. The caretaker tells me that they have never had anyone ask to hunt there before. I know that could mean almost nothing, but im still hopeful. lol. Take care all and thanks again. HH, dave.

Using a smaller coil is like going backwards from what your initial intent is/was to do,

you say you're having depth issues, and seemingly not getting very deep so,

why would you want to use a smaller coil and lose even more depth?

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
When i want to find deep coins in an area where i suspect that they ARE deep.... I? use Terry's 15 preamp program with the stock 9.5 coil.

It allowed me to find a few silver coins that were out of reach of my regular setup (on my xlt) in a park here that was hunted out & landscaped. I managed to find a few seated dimes & a few barber dimes there by digging any faint signal that registered even once as a coin signal that was deeper than 7-8 inches....odd thing was that I only found dimes while doing this... I suppose only dimes were there.? ?Dug my share of small, deep iron nails while doing this also.

Also... when using terry's program deep dimes tend to register as quarters, quarters as half dollars etc etc. Shallow quarter & up-sized coins as well as pocket spills will usually read as an overload signal.? ?Its as if the program is oversensitive , but it will go deeper than any other program i have used. The depth meter will be off a bit by about an inch or so (mostly on shallow targets). And sometimes the vdi will be off a bit as well compared to regular programs.? It isnt a perfect program & can read sloppily at times.... but it works for seeing deeper.? I use it most of the time when very little trash is present.
? I am currently using it now with my bigfoot coil? (in my current gold ring search) to compensate for the bigfoot coil's tendancy to NOT to see small mid-deep coins. When i first started using the bigfoot coil I only found one silver quarter with it (at a hunted out spot). I am NOW using the bigfoot with Terry's program & have found 3 silver mercury dimes with it at that same site.

http://66.51.97.78/coinist/preamp15pgm.html <----- Terry's 15 preamp program

OP
OP
D

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
Wolfe, your right about going backwards, but i thought if i got between the "other" stuff it might help. Thanks for the link Jim, Ill def try it. Im seeing the more I learn about the XlT the more im confused. lol Thanks again all. This forum is awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions