xlt shuts itself off ???

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
My XLt did the same thing. It was an easy fix. I put a peice of cloth in in the back of battery compartment to make the contact snug. That did it. Good luck Mike.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
either your battery is crapping out, or the battery is not tight against the little probes in the bottom of it to make the connection.

They will do that, after a few years, especially on the beach, they get some sand in them etc etc. the little tab gets slightly corroded and the battery doesn't push up against it very tight, next thing you know, you bump, bounce or jiggle the machine a little bit and it shuts off cold.....

what he said above, fold a piece of paper a few times and put it on top of the battery when you close the lid on it so it pushes on the paper, which pushes on the battery, which pushes harder on the connections. That is what I had to do with mine and it's worked for years so far that way.

Aaron

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I also had that problem. If you look inside the battery compartment you will see the 2 little contacts. Use a pencil eraser and gently clean those 2 contacts and you can gently bend them out a little with a knitting needle or some type of hook. Also use the eraser to clean the contacts on the battery pack.
Ken

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
Thanks .I will try that .gee its great to have this kind of site to get help .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread