Xlt

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an XLT, I feel I know it pretty well, and was thinking of upgrading to a DFX or maybe even a V 3i. I feel I need to get a bit more depth and more of a variety of coil options. I love my XLT, but feel I just am not getting deep enough with it. I'm just not finding anything good over 4.5 inches even In good soil. I have done test gardens with silver dimes at 6 " and can't pick them up, even with a hot program and 12" coil. Frustrating! Will a DFX hit these? I want a V3i but looks like a hard animal to learn! I'm not very tech savy but XLT and DFX are similar, so I think I could learn the DFX much quicker. Plus half the price of a V3i. Any input on advise would be much appreciated!

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always hesitate to simply say that the DFX is going to get better depth than the XLT.
While it is true that newer technology allows the DFX and it's coils to be more efficient, the DFX (the V3i too, for that matter) does not put "more power" into the ground. However, it does process signals faster, and more accurately. The frequencies that it uses have proven to provide a better response to certain metals under most conditions than the older XLT, as well. So it's very likely that you would be happier with the DFX than you are with the XLT.
Keep in mind, though - the old Coinmaster 6000 Di Pro Series 3 had an advertised depth of ten inches on a quarter, and you may not be finding deeper targets because they simply aren't where you are hunting.
To sum up: the XLT is a very capable detector in it's own right. However, if you feel the targets are there, and you have squeezed all the performance out of it you can, then the move to the DFX can be a rewarding one.
Good luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a 4wdguy said it true. There comes a time when we tell our selves we need more depth and the extra coils the DFX has can help that but not as much as using it where deeper coins are hidden. The DFX is now hard to learn either.

OP
OP
shadowcat1971

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gentlemen!! Any other thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread