ironarmknives

Nov 13, 2013
San Diego CA.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS ,whites v3i, excalibur 1000 blue,
put to rest CTX 3030 ,MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i went to this lot to sell my bmw motorcycle right out side of town lots of traffic but because everybody want to crawl on the bike i stay with it ..so instead of just sitting there i took the deus to kill time its a two hundred year old town so maybe something has happened there…. second hit of the day i get a dime reading dirt is rock hard so i break the crust and recheck for location of dime its in the crust great start cleaning the dirt off and its a dime I've never seen before I'm thinking mexican ,british etc… look closer and it says united states so cool i stick it in my mouth clean the dirt off and HOLLY **** !!!!! its a barber dime 1902s and look like in great shape…..look on the phone and i read "1902s is rarer than all of them Holly mother of something …. what have i found and how do i have it cleaned and is it worth having it graded and by whom …is it a $11.00 dollar dime or 1000.00 or 5000.00 what do u experts think...

Last edited:
Upvote 6
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the silver find, looks good on the Deus!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 02-S is really nice! The one challenge we have as diggers is the problem of "environmental damage". Many of the coins that come out of the ground have some kind of problem in its condition. Sometimes a silver coin will come out of the ground in perfect shape, but most don't. The professional coin graders will slab your coin and give it a grade, unfortunately many come back with the dreaded "environmental damage". Not sure about your coin, it may grade VF or XF? Still, it's in better shape than most dug Barbers!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet find, congrats

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet! Congrats on your first barber Dime!! Coin Study.com says $272 uncirculated.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking barber! I'm no expert but with the minor surface scratches it'll likely be worth less, still cool as heck though!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as a dug coin that is in great shape but easy enough to see the scratches on it which will decrease the value for certain. Not taking away from your find it certainly is great.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its grades "Fine" by obverse detail but the scratches will lower its value.... great find!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a really nice find. GL&HH!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your pictures and my gadget OCD kicked in "What is he doing putting dirt and coins on that screen???" Then I saw the original plastic protector covering the screen and sighed in relief!

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever you do, DONT CLEAN IT. That will devalue the dime. Take it to a Coin Shop and let them look at it, as is.

OP
OP
ironarmknives

ironarmknives

Nov 13, 2013
San Diego CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys finding it where i found it just screwing around in the whole field only found two nickels and that dime so got lucky just wish it was the big payday but i think its not we ll see … sure is a rare find for sure one to put on my bio at the end of my signature thought i had a BANNER !!!!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Beautiful mellow dime - she looks pleased to be out of the ground! :blob9: And she may have "old friend" coins still underground in the same area you dug her! I'd go back to detect that whole area if you haven't already.

OP
OP
ironarmknives

ironarmknives

Nov 13, 2013
San Diego CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hunted the whole field two time found nothing but iron, alum, and one more penny thats it… so it was a lucky find ….. and a great fined .. for me … i still have not had anybody value the coin yet grade it …. of to the beach today see if that diamond ring is there a few oz of gold would be nice. LOL …. i just don't know where to take the dime to have someone grade it… or even know if its worth paying to have that done some say $40.00 dime some say 200.00 some maybe more so don't know …… for now just sits on the desk ….

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, here is a link to your coin. Very nice detail
1902 S 10C MS Barber Dimes | NGC
Look in the yellow pages for a coin dealer in your area, they could probably tell you approximate grade. Like others have said, and not talking bad about your find, also looking at pix (even good pix) not the same as seeing your coin in person. Your coin according to NGC explorer looks like it would fetch 22.00 to maybe 95.00
I'm sure a coin dealer first hand could get you in a better ballpark figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions