XTerra 70 for Beach Detecting?

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
It is good on the beach because of it's beach mode and auto tracking. The DD coils would be best. I would go with the 7.5 Khz or the 18.5Khz DD coils. Even though the concentric coil runs fine on the beach(wet salty sand). If you are buying a new machine for the beach, the sovereign is hard to beat. I own both myself. I use an 18" excelerator coil on the sov. and can dig pea size gold earrings at 12-14" easily.

OP
OP
PaDweller

PaDweller

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2008
Elizabethtown,Pa
Thanks for your input, I am getting back into detecting after 12 years or so and I've narrowed it down to the Tejon, or the Xterra70, I owned a Tesoro Bandito Umax back then but it was stolen out of my truck Ill be doing coin/Relic, Some fresh water/some salt water on the Delaware beaches, I Do like the Tejon but cant decide??

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
I cannot speak from personal experience but.... My closest detecting buddy used a tejon for a long time. He raved about it's depth but he ended up sending it down the road because he calls it a relic machine What I think he means is, the machine loves iron and sometimes has a hard time descriminating it out. If an object is ring or washer shaped, it picked up on it well. I guess it may not be a great coinshooter or jewlery machine especially in trashy areas. Please bear in mind though, this is hearsay. You will find hat the people in the minelab section of this forum will steer you to a minelab and the same would be true if you posted this question in the Tesoro section.

As far as my Xterra, I have a 6" 18.5Khz coil that I love. I find myself heading towards the trashy areas when the others steer clear. The areas I hunt are full of iron junk and the x70 separates targets nicely. Not sure what that Tejon weighs but the x70 is like swinging a feather.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would love the X-70 for the beach or land. It is not a detector for taking out in the water however as a wave can drown it. It is very light weight and easy to use.

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
:thumbsup: PA dweller , I to have recently gotten back into metal detecting after a long absence myself , I bought the Ace 250 just to see wheter i was committed to this highly addictive hobby and I am , So I recently upgraded to the X Terra 70 and Love it , Even though I am using the stock coil , Pinpoint is dead on , I'm digging mid to early 20 th century silver coins, Deep 6+ inches by the handfull at very trashy hunted out local park . The best thing about the X terra is its seperation ability allot of coins I have found are next to Trash . I have not taken my Baby out for relic hunting yet , hopefully this week the weekend looks like a wash out in North East PA . If your close to the Poccono area give me a Hollar , I should have a few good sites lined up within the next couple of weeks in the Tri state area .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread