dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The literature does state that the gain is amplified somehow with the chip in the coil. I haven't tried anything but the Minelab coils, but I have heard (not only from you) the NEL does work great! I still wonder if NEL has actually stolen ML technology, & they actually put a chip in the coil. I don't think it would be worth the trouble, as X-Terra coils probably account for a small amount of coil sales for NEL. Especially considering all the coils they make for the many different brands.

I don't buy into advertising on detectors. I've read where whites will tell you what's in the ground before you dig and at pros work on the beach. From first hand experience tells me it is hype.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy into advertising on detectors. I've read where whites will tell you what's in the ground before you dig and at pros work on the beach. From first hand experience tells me it is hype.
Both are true.....to a point.

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm under the impression that if you must go through different start up process to make the x terra accept a NEL coil it may be harming the MD, I paid to much for my 705 to risk saving a few bucks on a coil

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm under the impression that if you must go through different start up process to make the x terra accept a NEL coil it may be harming the MD, I paid to much for my 705 to risk saving a few bucks on a coil

You don't that's bs

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't that's bs
Wrong!
This is now included with all new NEL Xterra coils. It is required ONLY due to their lack of specific programming knowledge, because they are in opposition to the OEM. You'll NEVER EVER need to do anything like this with an approved coil.
clandestinecoilstartupinstructions_zpsc4b3125b.jpg

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong!
This is now included with all new NEL Xterra coils. It is required ONLY due to their lack of specific programming knowledge, because they are in opposition to the OEM. You'll NEVER EVER need to do anything like this with an approved coil.

After a certain date there was a change to force you to buy what you call approved. They still work great.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a certain date there was a change to force you to buy what you call approved. They still work great.

The fact that they changed just to try and stop nel coils from working shows their intent is to force you to buy their over priced coils. Seems to be the direction they,are headed with vflex and now fbs2. I for one don't buy into the magic coil theories. When nel first started with exterra coils the forums were full of people saying they are not as good and will destroy your detector which after time has proven to be BS. All it takes is,a little looking and you will find many users having great results and you will find the same people shooting them down on almost every forum. Almost like it is their job or something.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When nel first started with exterra coils the forums were full of people saying they are not as good and will destroy your detector which after time has proven to be BS. All it takes is,a little looking and you will find many users having great results and you will find the same people shooting them down on almost every forum. Almost like it is their job or something.
Turn that around.
On almost every forum most people promote ethics and quality components, and there are other people that have none that are always standing behind rewarding thieves.....almost like it's their job.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn that around.
On almost every forum most people promote ethics and quality components, and there are other people that have none that are always standing behind rewarding thieves.....almost like it's their job.

Rewarding theives, really. You realize you are calling sponsors of this forum criminals and thieves?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really find this disturbing.

Ya, it would suck to find out I could only use Fender approved pickups in my strat. It really limits your options. Minelab doesn't make what people want, so why not get it elsewhere? It can't hurt ML if they don't even offer a coil in the 7.5Khz small/mid size DD category. It's like, if you can't get it from us, you can't have it! Never heard FTP, Garrett or Whites, etc... claim that you can't use aftermarket coils. As long as they are NOT using the proprietary 'chip' that ML uses, it is just a coil! No different from one you could wind yourself at home if you so desired.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, it would suck to find out I could only use Fender approved pickups in my strat. It really limits your options. Minelab doesn't make what people want, so why not get it elsewhere? It can't hurt ML if they don't even offer a coil in the 7.5Khz small/mid size DD category. It's like, if you can't get it from us, you can't have it! Never heard FTP, Garrett or Whites, etc... claim that you can't use aftermarket coils. As long as they are NOT using the proprietary 'chip' that ML uses, it is just a coil! No different from one you could wind yourself at home if you so desired.

Exactly

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn that around.

That seems like a pretty provocative statement. May I ask what, if any, association you have with Coiltek, or Minelab? Are you a dealer, or have any financial interest in either?

Just curious as you seem so adamant about all of this.

Thanks,
HighPlainsHunter

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab doesn't make what people want, so why not get it elsewhere? It can't hurt ML if they don't even offer a coil in the 7.5Khz small/mid size DD category.
How do you figure that it won't hurt to have someone copying proprietary technology that's patent protected?
Never heard FTP, Garrett or Whites, etc... claim that you can't use aftermarket coils.
Of course you haven't! They have offered no new technology.
As long as they are NOT using the proprietary 'chip' that ML uses, it is just a coil! No different from one you could wind yourself at home if you so desired.
I've already told you. The chip is required! It's part of what V-Flex is. Without it your machine would display CE (coil error).
I have no problem with NEL selling coils that are just wound copper wire in an epoxy filled plastic enclosure....like the Garrett, FTP, Whites, or even Minelab FBS.
FBS2 and V-Flex ARE DIFFERENT!

That seems like a pretty provocative statement. May I ask what, if any, association you have with Coiltek, or Minelab? Are you a dealer, or have any financial interest in either?

Just curious as you seem so adamant about all of this.

Thanks,
HighPlainsHunter
I have absolutely no affiliation with either Minelab or Coiltek, nor am I involved with any detector related business.
What I do have is morals and ethics. To me it is hypocritical for some to preach ethics regarding the neat cutting of plugs, or to encourage others to enjoy the thrill of returning a class ring to it's owner (because it's the right thing to do), and then turn around and pay someone to steal from someone else. To me it's no different than buying a detector knowing it to be stolen.

And one more thing. I'll bet that not one of the NEL proponents posting in this thread has ever contacted Minelab or Coiltek to convey their desires. If you never express the need you can't expect them to know that there's a demand.
We wouldn't have the Coiltek coils that we have if it hadn't been for a campaign we mounted. It resulted in four completely new coil options that we needed. It also proves that it can be done if you're willing to put forth even minimal effort.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you figure that it won't hurt to have someone copying proprietary technology that's patent protected?
I've already told you. The chip is required! It's part of what V-Flex is. Without it your machine would display CE (coil error).
I have no problem with NEL selling coils that are just wound copper wire in an epoxy filled plastic enclosure....like the Garrett, FTP, Whites, or even Minelab FBS.

I have absolutely no affiliation with either Minelab or Coiltek, nor am I involved with any detector related business.
What I do have is morals and ethics. To me it is hypocritical for some to preach ethics regarding the neat cutting of plugs, or to encourage others to enjoy the thrill of returning a class ring to it's owner (because it's the right thing to do), and then turn around and pay someone to steal from someone else. To me it's no different than buying a detector knowing it to be stolen.

And one more thing. I'll bet that not one of the NEL proponents posting in this thread has ever contacted Minelab or Coiltek to convey their desires. If you never express the need you can't expect them to know that there's a demand.
We wouldn't have the Coiltek coils that we have if it hadn't been for a campaign we mounted. It resulted in four completely new coil options that we needed. It also proves that it can be done if you're willing to put forth even minimal effort.

Ok Longhair, I was never aware that they were actually stealing Minelabs technology as until now. This is the first time I have heard that the NEL coil actually has a counterfeit 'chip' that is copying ML technology. I assumed they were selling a standard type coil without a chip that works with X-Terra detectors, & Minelab doesn't 'approve' (or like) that. That does make a huge difference in my thinking now! Is harder to dismiss NEL if what you said is true. Thanks for the info.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent answer, I agree 100%.

Good hunting,
HighPlainsHunter

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the new technology and innovation is the reason I bought my 705. Why would I purchase a coil that didn't utilize that? Minelab and Coiltek coils are designed for my machine so that's what I'm going to use. If I had a metal detector that used a standard coil and NEL offered one that I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate buying one. NEL doesn't have a coil designed for the Xterra, that is just my opinion.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the new technology and innovation is the reason I bought my 705. Why would I purchase a coil that didn't utilize that? Minelab and Coiltek coils are designed for my machine so that's what I'm going to use. If I had a metal detector that used a standard coil and NEL offered one that I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate buying one. NEL doesn't have a coil designed for the Xterra, that is just my opinion.

Whether or not it is designed for the X-Terra is one thing, but they do make a coil for use with the X-Terra, that has had positive reviews. I would not buy one due to infringement issues as well as warranty issues. I have the 6" 18.75khz DD & the 10.5" 7.5 khz. These Minelab coils suit me fine. I WILL NOT buy a CoilTek coil, as I think they are overpriced! If Minelab can sell a WATERPROOF 6" DD HF coil for $145, why must CoilTek charge $50 more for a non-waterproof (at least it originally was) 6" 3khz coil? Instead of ML making coils people would really like, they pass it off to CoilTek so the customer gets to pay more. Yeah, sign me up!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there wasn't a demand for a better coil for certain hunt conditions, Coiltek wouldn't make one. They obviously know there is a demand and they have the technology to produce one. If you don't think it's cost effective, that's fine. Anyone can make a replacement coil for any brand as long as they don't infringe on patents. The price difference between Minelab coils and Coiltek coils is probably the total number that gets sold. If you can spread the engineering costs over a larger number of products, your costs per unit will be less.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there wasn't a demand for a better coil for certain hunt conditions, Coiltek wouldn't make one. They obviously know there is a demand and they have the technology to produce one. If you don't think it's cost effective, that's fine. Anyone can make a replacement coil for any brand as long as they don't infringe on patents. The price difference between Minelab coils and Coiltek coils is probably the total number that gets sold. If you can spread the engineering costs over a larger number of products, your costs per unit will be less.

Exactly my point. There obviously must be a demand, or companies such as NEL would not make one! I doubt it would be cost effective if there was no demand. Many people have purchased & are using NEL coils on there X-Terra's. If MINELAB offered a similar sized 7.5 khz (waterproof) DD, I doubt NEL would even bother with making one, or the sales of said coils would see a huge drop, or perhaps be eventually discontinued entirely by NEL. Give customers what they want, & they won't need to go elsewhere. JMHO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread