Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Yahooooo, just found these at mom's house

Saturday the 9th. was the BIG day of the last garage cleaning at my mom's old house it's funny how when we are growing up, that is one of our worst nightmares, having to clean the garage before going out to play for the weekend. My mom went to be with the Lord last Nov. 9th. And whilst she was not a pack-rat, she was a saver of re-usable things, and she did re-use them. She would buy broken yard art at garage sales (sometimes the people would just give her the stuff free) :thumbsup: She was a crafter extrodinare, she sewed things, installed her own hot water tank (she would not let any of us kids help) ???. Done her own plumbing, even though my brother is a master plumber. She would call me at odd hours of the night and ask me how she could fix a problem with her truck, yes my mom, while not being a person born or ever living in the south, drove a pickup truck ???. It helped her to buy or pick up things that were too large to get home in a car ;D. All I wanted out of the garage was a 2x6 and the sewing machine that I gave her ( an old Singer cabinet model from the 50's) she didn't like new technology for sewing. She had a computer, but didn't have time for it, when I would visit her, she would ask me to look up things for her, mainly stuff to kill bugs in her many, many flower beds (natural remedies only) heck, she killed slugs by sprinkling medicated foot powder on them, (that she bought at the dollar store). So what I am getting down too is, That I miss her dearly and the things that she saved are some of the things that I will cherish forever. About the 2x6 and the sewing machine that I only wanted, I also took all the broken yard art items and will fix them and use them. I also ended up packing my pickup truck to the gills, and I have the most cherished things that she saved, pictures of me, when I was growing up.......Enjoy

Attachments

• Me.jpg
    Me.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 352
  • Me again.jpg
    Me again.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 358

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Yahooooo, just found these at mom's house

there are all sorts of "treasure" -- some has nothing to do with silver, gold or gemstones of any kind . :thumbsup:

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Here is a picture of my mom when she was 16 in 1948. I was born in 1950.......YIKES! I guess she couldn't wait....lol I never found out what year she got married, I am guessing quite young :laughing7:..........NGE

Attachments

• My mom at 16.jpg
    My mom at 16.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 343
  • My mom at 16.jpg
    My mom at 16.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 347

Squishy

Jul 19, 2009

Great old pictures! What is on the pony's front feet?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

thats a hobble * think of it as a set of hand cuffs for horses --keeps them from running and throwing children -- if a child photographer was taking say --cowboy pictures of kids --one would not want the horse to run or startle and buck --it prevented the horse from moving at anything but the tinist bit of slow movement at a time

cowboys often used them to keep horses nearby while they grazed without having to tie them up at one exact spot --a hobbled horse can not go very far or very quickly -- some say the term for a childs wooden rocking horse "hobby horse" comes from "hobbled horse" -- ie "a horse that stays in one place - going nowhere "

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great memories :thumbsup:

Fossis.............

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for sharing. You have a nice looking mom. :icon_sunny: I like how women dressed in the 40's and 50's

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I also have the proverbial " Butt Nekked" pic too, but this is a family site :laughing7:.....NGE

S

stefen

Squishy said:
Great old pictures! What is on the pony's front feet?

Hobbles...keeps horses from moving around...

In the late 40's thru the 50's, traveling photographers would walk urban neighborhoods with a pony and cowboy clothes, and take pictures of little kids...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread