Yankee finds Confederate Belt Buckle

herm

Greenie
Jan 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
T-2 AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I have been a member of this forum for a long time, I have never posted a find. I have been detecting for 40 years but this is my first civil war find other than the occasional minie ball. I was hunting a field where an old one school house stood and this flipped out of a plug. North central Ohio not being a hotbed of civil war relics, I would appreciate some advice on what I have and if it has any value. At some point it must have been hit by a plow because it has a bend in it. It is roughly 2 x 2 7/8 x 3/16 thick. Sorry about the long post and I hope these pictures work.

Upvote 11

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's beautiful. I would keep that. You can't put a price on something like that. Although it's good to know it value.

jakester

Jan 24, 2017
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sir are what we refer to in the south as a damn yankee! Joking. That is one sweet find. Congrats to you.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh heck yea! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say that's a beautiful find and I'm
glad you decided to post that incredible plate. I'm a believer that some of our finds actually find us, and that plate ended up under your coil for a reason. Excellent digs

Kooky

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find and it's amazing you found it where you did. Big time congrats

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
geeze..that plate is AWESOME! Many congrats and I wonder how it got there. Veteran post war? One of the numerous raids into OH maybe?
Congrats again

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would lose my mind if I found one of those!!! Congrats. I'm voting for your banner.

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure that my heart could take one of those popping out of the ground.....but I'd love to find out! Congrats on a once in a lifetime type of find.--JB

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome buckle
Congrats

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find. Here's my story on your find . An Ohio soldier returned home after the war with your buckle and the belt he had taken off a dead reb soldier. One day years after the war he was working the field and he was using the belt as part of the horse tackle and the last hook finally broke and the buckle dropped off and was buried until you swung your coil over it
and heard that great tone. So your job is to find out who owned the farm and field in the mid 1800's and what family member went to war . Then research him and find out what theater he served in and what battles he fought in and then you will solve the mystery . Good luck. And do not have it restored , other than a light cleaning . Leave it alone it has a story to tell.

OP
OP
H

herm

Greenie
Jan 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
T-2 AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I was pretty sure I had something good, but I was sure there were a lot of guys on here that know way more about Civil War artifacts than I do. Every once in a while we catch a BIG fish. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread