Years 1st Finds...Coin(s)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went for my first relic hunt this year and was somewhat successful. The coin or coins were found last. There appears to be two coins but they are fused together and I cannot get them apart. I will try soaking them in olive oil and see if that will loosen them. I haven't identified them yet but will do so as soon as I get home. I can see Victoria on one side so it is probably either an early provincial cent or a Victoria Thistle token.

Could it be possible that this is just one coin and was mistruck at the time of minting? I've found coins together before but never fused like this.

I also found what looks like a trigger, possibly musket and a large lead thing with two holes in the middle. Any ideas what this would have been used for?

Attachments

• JAN finds1.JPG
    JAN finds1.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 449
  • Jan Coin1.JPG
    Jan Coin1.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 434
  • Fused Coin1.JPG
    Fused Coin1.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 451
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds!

HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Really looks like two coins fused together, I probably would have taken them apart. HH, Mike

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds! Really looks like two coins fused together, I probably would have taken them apart. HH, Mike

Hey Mike...I tried to take them apart using thumb nail and elbow grease but they won't budge. Into the olive oil tonight!

T

TreasureTales

My guess also is there are two coins stuck together. Mating coins??? Hmmm, maybe they'll make change!!!! lol

The trigger thing is made of what? Copper? Did you find it under an electric line? I posted this on another thread, but forgot where!!!! Duh!

The lead thing seems too large for a drapery weight, but maybe not. Can you tell us the type of area you were in? Some clues might help with the ID.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were all found in an area where several musketballs had been found as well as several copper coins which were warn smooth. This was a battle site for two battles between the French and the English in the 1700s.

The trigger thing is not copper and there are no electrical lines near the field. Thanks for looking!

T

TreasureTales

The lead thing looks like it was homemade. Very irregular edge. What metal is the trigger thing made from? Is it iron? Doesn't look like it in the photo.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins are always a nice way to start the year. I really doubt the impact from a mint strike would fuse the metal. If it did I would think the coins would be destoyed. The edges look to be in great condition. I could be wrong.

Kano Kroil. Eats rust and crud. Guarantees NOT to harm metal. I use it. It works. GL this year, romeo. It is a penetrating oil we use on rusty bolts. WD-40 is good, but, it's primary ingredient is fish oil. You may need something more acidic that is gentle on metals.

Laater...

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is more unique together!

HH
-GC

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try WD40, that should loosen the bond and they won't squeak, LOL! HH, Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nic way to start the new year romeo.

Congrats & Hppy Hunting !

Jeff

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin are soaking in olive oil. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone...remove some crud and seperate. I have identified them as early Victorian large cents but unfortunately the date sides are the sides that are fused so I cannot see either date. I will post the coins again as soon as they are apart. Could be days or months...time will tell.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great find! A two-fer!! Can't wait to see them apart....no together....no apart! :P ;D

HH,
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread